The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Dealing with loss adjusters

2»

Comments

• mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    davkt wrote: »
    Ahh well, the loss adjuster says the person who took my call was wasting his and my time as it was a clear cut accidental damage claim covered by the policy. Just asked me to send them some photos of the damage and forward a copy of the email from the UK importer/service agent that says given the part that I broke the scope is beyond repair, which he said the person I spoke to first should have done. So fingers crosse I should be able to sort a new telescope out soon!

Good common sense attitude from the adjuster.

In some ways it does work in your favour having an adjuster. From my own experience working in a large claims department, many of the staff have little experience of life. Many of them are school leavers (as I was at the time) with no real idea about the financial aspects of life or indeed the value of money.

It would be easy for them to know what an Xbox 360 cost or a mobile phone and they would know if the amount claimed was over stated. However, in your case, if the telescope is semi decent model (not a Tasco cheapie) then the costs can be £300 to several thousand. That would be outside the handlers comfort zone (or indeed their supervisors since claims for telescopes are reasonably rare) so they appoint an adjuster.

Adjusters tend to be claims handlers with minimum 5 yrs experience (internal) or more for external. Their experience and the face to face meeting often saves time in the long run and reduces the need for lengthy correspondance.
  • fruitpie
    fruitpie Posts: 202
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chuckles - thanks for your reply regarding Davies Loss Adjusters - I searched the groups as you suggested but could not find anything on them. !
    The reason I asked was that my next door neighbour has just had Davies visits them to look at some damage that was done by our neighbour opposite us. He sprayed his 60 foot long fence in 40 - 50 mile an hour winds, resulting in both my house and next door being splattered with creosote.
  • I have just got of the phone with a rude woman from Zurich.
    She has informed me that Davies will be contacting me to arrange an appointment.

My garage was broken into on Friday and quite a lot of stuff was stolen.

I have already done the repairs to the property as they were closed when I called (but I have photos of the damage) so not sure what he is coming to see!

The stuff I am claiming for is obviously gone and the damage has been repaired...

Any feedback on these people?
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    NEMESIS wrote: »
    I have just got of the phone with a rude woman from Zurich.
    She has informed me that Davies will be contacting me to arrange an appointment.

My garage was broken into on Friday and quite a lot of stuff was stolen.

I have already done the repairs to the property as they were closed when I called (but I have photos of the damage) so not sure what he is coming to see!

The stuff I am claiming for is obviously gone and the damage has been repaired...

Any feedback on these people?

Theft from an outbuilding claims are often grossly inflated by the policyholder, for example if your are claiming for a ride on lawn mower the adjuster will at least be looking to see if you have a lawn and not a postage stamp sized one at that, often the mere sight of an outbuilding will identify that it does not have the storage capacity to accomodate the volume of contents claimed for as another example, if your claim is sound and you have taken all necessary steps then you will have nothing to fear, the adjuster is most likely also to ask you to produce a crime reference number from your local police and perhaps some evidence of some of the items stolen, this can be a receipt, credit card or bank statement, packaging or manuals etc.

As I said if all is above board with your claim you should have nothing more to fear about the involvement of a loss adjuster other than meeting your maker before he or she gets off their backside and actually does something about your claim prepare for a long haul and lots of telephone calls and the odd missed appointment.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport