Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    This is really useful thanks - my husband is ex armed forces and served between those dates. However, he was medically discharged a few years later due to his kneeS. He was paid a one off payment, would this affect his pension rights?
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Anubis wrote: »
    This is really useful thanks - my husband is ex armed forces and served between those dates. However, he was medically discharged a few years later due to his kneeS. He was paid a one off payment, would this affect his pension rights?

No pension from service and medical pensions are separate entities. I know several people who are drawing both.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Thanks Andy, I will let my husband know. He seemed to think he would not be entitled because of the lump sum he got, but if they are different then maybe he is. Thank you again.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Hi,

I am now 61 and served in the RAF for just under 6 years from 1967 to 1973. Can anyone tell me whether I would qualify for a Preserved Pension payment please?

Many thanks
  • ashabdi
    ashabdi Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My brother served 9 years in the army from 1970 to 1979, he has been living in zimbabwe and now is back in the uk. is he due any pension, his rank was corporal in the army air corps.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 January 2012 at 10:23AM
    Yes. As he was serving in 1975 he meets the criteria for a preserved pension at age 60.
  • ashabdi
    ashabdi Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you do you have any ideas what the figures will be like, as he has come back from Zimbabwe with what he stands in. Would he be entitled to any other help. Many thanks
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 January 2012 at 8:09PM
    For the pension give these a call / e-mail
    CHR15 wrote: »

Contact Details:
    JPAC Enquiry Centre,
    Mail Point 403,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    GLASGOW,
    G2 8EX

Freephone 0800 085 3600
    email: [EMAIL="JPAC@spva.mod.uk"]JPAC@spva.mod.uk[/EMAIL]
    SSAFA may help http://ssafa.co.uk/index.asp

A few links for ex- brown jobs here http://www.army.mod.uk/welfare-support/23203.aspx
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    I called the number to check if OH was eligible and the change in age and length of service is not retrospective. So if someone was under 26 when discharged during period 1975-1988 they don't get anything even with 6 yrs service :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback