Candy tumble dryer from Argos 02/01/06

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didn't know the best place to post, anyway....

we brought a candy tumble dryer from argos on the 02/01/06 and had it delivered on 07/01/06, love it, MIL has exactly the same BUT we keep having a few problems with it, first off we kept on getting fuses blow on us, it would happen if I forgot to empty the water and the reminder light goes on,
I would empty it, start it up again, then it would blow a fuse, so every time I forgot to empty it, I always left it over night before I tried it again. Then about 3 months ago I called candy out again, forget why and the guy changed an element (? something in a small box) now today I had the heat setting on low and changed it to high and bang a fuse went, now it won't start again, no matter how many times I change the fuse, I don't use it all day everyday, there is only 3 of us and my MIL says she uses hers all the time so she thinks I must have something wrong but she is no engineer. Now I don't know where I stand as obviously the warranty runs out at the beginning of next month, so I don't want to get it 'fixed' for it to happen 3 months down the line and have to pay for someone to fix it. Yet can I get a new one, if so do I ask argos, or do I ask candy, will they play each other against each other, I just need some ammo to arm myself so I don't get fobbed off, or whether its just tough sh:mad: t

any info would be great as I have never had a problem before like this, and I love the candy product, have a W machine by them and never had any problems (touches wood :o )

Lorraine

Comments

• misfire
    misfire Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I have no legal insite and havent been in this position before but this is what i would do!!

1. Ring argos see what they say (i know you probably will butl make a note of who you speak to, there ext or dept, time and date of call - many years ago when i had an issue with tesco on line they tried to tell me i had never contacted them.... when i began naming who i had spoken to and when they suddenly got very helpful!)

2. If they tell you to ring candy - do and again keep details.

if you get no joy - ring trading standards to see where you legally stand (i have rang them before and they were most helpful... was about the tesco thing!! ) then get back to the above with the information.

If this doesnt help and they do try and play you off against each other - get on to the Citizens advice bureau and see if they can help (we also have a really good local consumer guy on our local radio who helps people sort out things like these - your local radio might to)

If you paid with cc you could always contact your cc see what they say (i have never had to do this so no clue on how long after purchase you can do it).

Good luck
    Debt free May 2016 (without the support of MSE forum users that would never have been possible - thank you all)
  • lorraine
    lorraine Posts: 526 Forumite
    Thanks very much misfire, I will ring both in the morning and will definately make a note of who I spoke to (and will keep it all together as usually I scribble on a piece of paper then throw it away a few days later) Also don't know if it makes a difference but we paid using our argos card.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    They can insist on a repair unfortunately as you have it 11 months you have deemed to have accepted the goods, being polite and staying calm on the phone helps dont get angry :)

http://www.euroconsumer.org.uk/index/your_rights/shopping_home/goods.htm
  • Lainie75
    Lainie75 Posts: 261 Forumite
    Hi Lorraine

You are entitled to a full refund/replacement as the drier is still in guarantee ,
    argos have to refund/replace as they sold you the item , it is abviously faulty and if you explain everything that has happened they should replace it no problem , they can advise on a repair again but i would refuse as you have tryed that option and it didnt work , ask for the manager if you feel the advisor isnt listening to you , you are well within in your rights to do this , any problems as the previous person suggested contact citizens advice where they will contact argos on your behalf.

i used to work for index b4 they shut down and there policy was to replace/refund , i have replaced items the day b4 the guarantee has ended because they have been faulty , i cant see argos being any different.

fingers crossed for u
    merry christmas

Lainie
    x
    safc forever

Start Date -11/06/08 - Start Weight -36st 5lb
    Current weight -34st 5lb
    This weeks loss lb -total loss 28lb
  • Mack_3
    Mack_3 Posts: 142 Forumite
    You are entitled to a full refund/replacement as the drier is still in guarantee ,

Wrongggggggg! After 30 days the way Argos works is as follows, Repair the item, If no repair facility is avaliable they will then offer a replacement, if that is not avaliable then and only then will they offer a refund.

Argos are well within there rights to offer a repair i'm affraid, like a previous poster said, its trying to get accross the fact that it already has been repaired and its a re-occouring fault! However with you communicating down the phone, its not like a one to one conversation with a manager in store where they can examine the item etc.

Best of luck!
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You say about having changed the fuse, have you checked the safety cut out?

Most modern tumble dryers seem to have a cutout (usually located at the back - great place for it*:/ ) that will trip if the dryer gets too hot.
    Our old one used to trip it on a regular basis when used on high until we realised the air hose to the wall vent was pretty badly blocked/kinked (one of the other appliences had been pushed back into it).
    Our current (non candy) dryer sometimes trips if we forget to clean the filter for a few cycles.

The first time it went we thought the dryer had died as we changed the fuse in the plug etc, it was only as we pulled it out to open it up (and check for an internal fuse) that we spotted the big red button on the back (and being the curious type pressed it;)).

*Our current one has it covered with a large red plastic bit that you push.
  • Thank you for all your replies, I have candy coming out today at some point, I just hope they can find the problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure