Cats Protection neutering vouchers?

Hi all, a friend of mine has two kittens both females & about 6 months old, so time for neutering! She's been quoted about £200 to get both kittens done which she can't afford right now :rolleyes: I know CP do vouchers to help with the cost, does anyone know about these? She's a Student so not working but lives with her Dad who is. Would that mean she's not eligible. And pls no 'She shoulda thought of that' posts cause I so agree! But I don't want her to wait till they come into season or not get it done so said i'd ask! TIA for any help!

Comments

• moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Hi, these vouchers are usually reserved for people on income support or very low incomes, but if you get in touch with CPL or Blue Cross they will discuss this with you.

BTW - £200 sounds an awful lot for the operations alone, I should tell her to check around a bit more before she uses that particular sugery - or question what else they are intending to do for that £200! The current RSPCA estimate that the average cost is between £30 and £50 - and I think any vet charging much more than that would be seriously undermining the efforts made by charities to encourage people to get their animals neutered.

The CPL do vouchers, the Blue Cross and RSPCA both have assisted cost surgeries in some areas, and if you google it then there are other charities that may be able to help, but not sure of your area so you will have to take a look at that yourself.

Good luck
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    my daughter got a voucher as a student from cats protection
    she only had to pay £20 for neutering.
    http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neutering_financial.asp
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Hi all, a friend of mine has two kittens both females & about 6 months old, so time for neutering! She's been quoted about £200 to get both kittens done which she can't afford right now :rolleyes: I know CP do vouchers to help with the cost, does anyone know about these? She's a Student so not working but lives with her Dad who is. Would that mean she's not eligible. And pls no 'She shoulda thought of that' posts cause I so agree! But I don't want her to wait till they come into season or not get it done so said i'd ask! TIA for any help!

The vouchers are meant for the most needy, if she can afford it she should really pay for it herself. I would never have bought my kittens if I couldn't afford to neuture them, I could never take money from a charity like that. What would she to do if they needed veterinary treatment? I hope she has insurance ;)
  • As she is a student I hope the CPL will be able to help her - As for 'taking money from a charity like that' - the vouchers are there to help animals of people who cant afford neutering to get it done - of which the OPs friend is clearly one.

As far as I know they do not make any distinction between the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor, although they may specify particular benefits for elegibility - ringing them is the only way to find out really!

ETA - looking at the link posted by wolfehouse it looks as if they will indeed help her, and untimately help her cats, which is great!

http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neutering_financial.asp
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    As for 'taking money from a charity like that' - the vouchers are there to help animals of people who cant afford neutering to get it done - of which the OPs friend is clearly one.

Pardon? Can't afford neuturing? What £50 per cat? If she cannot afford that how is she supposed to feed them, de flea them, worm them, insure them, afford vet bills etc????

Sorry but my mum was on IS once but she still paid for her own cats to be neutured. I can get vouchers but I still paid for neuturing myself.
  • i have just recently been sent a voucher from cpl. this if for £20.... when i asked my local vet how much neutering is for a tom cat they said £26 so there fore i have £6 to pay!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It costs more to have a female spayed than a male neutered... Prices vary from area to area and from vet to vet...
    Definitely shop around for a better price but yes you COULD end up paying up to I'd say £75 easily per cat... If you're lucky it could be £50 or under.
    Do I think students should get free spays? Not really... sorry. She's not on IS or any benefit so as far as I am concerned then she knew the potential cost of taking on the animals and her low income is by choice not by unfortunate circumstance.
    On the other hand - I'd rather she had the cats spayed than not because otherwise the next time we hear about these kitties it'll be "2 female cats - now 16 kittens - help what do I do!"... However - do encourage her to get them insured because she won't qualify for any assistance for medical care for them should they get ill or have an accident... What if one got hit by a car? One of mine did and it came to about £1500... which thankfully the insurance covered... :) Could she find £1500 if she doesn't insure them?
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • I do think £100 per kitten is steep - I've been quoted around £100 for my pup and she'll be fully grown, 30kg + by then!

Shop around, certainly :)
  • windra
    windra Posts: 199 Forumite
    The RSPCA neuter cats for a donation of £20, they collect and drop them off too.
    Its available to everyone, i had my cat(female) done a few months ago and they were really good. They send a trained cat handler to pick them up.

It stops them getting even more strays, you should check your local RSPCA website.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Any chance you could post a link to the info please as I can't find it on the RSPCA website?
    They do have a section which says it should cost between £30-£50 per pet.
    Better start saving my pennies!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure