Manditory Work Activity Sanction

2»

Comments

• PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Thing is, he's not been offered his prefered position it was merely an interview for it and it seems as if it has come to nothing, so far at least. Whereas there was a position on the table in front of him for the BHF. I suspect had he actually had an offer of a place on his prefered scheme before the BHF offer he might have been able to negotiate with the DWP the switch in positions but the timing was all out so it couldn't happen. I don't think he has a leg to stand on wrt appealing the decision because as people here have demonstrated, a 3 day preparation for an interview for a voluntary position is excessive.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • You can appeal the sanction, but as you had no good reason for not attending on the Friday I doubt it would succeed.

You can apply for a hardship payment, which will be paid at 60% of the relevant JSA rate (or 80% if you are deemed vulnerable). You will not receive any payment for the first two weeks of your sanction, unless you are vulnerable.
  • HertzBox
    HertzBox Posts: 15 Forumite
    Sounds like a load of excuses to me.

Should have just gone to the work activity as requested and done the reading and other stuff at the weekend. It doesn't take long to pick up a shirt/trousers etc. whilst shopping for your wife. If pushed I could rattle that off in 10 minutes.

But surely, the proof of the excuse would be in not doing the Mandatory work in the first place. I attended the Mandatory Work Activity program after my Monday interview and continued to do so for three days until I was instructed no to attend by the Jobcenter.
  • HertzBox
    You can appeal the sanction, but as you had no good reason for not attending on the Friday I doubt it would succeed.

You can apply for a hardship payment, which will be paid at 60% of the relevant JSA rate (or 80% if you are deemed vulnerable). You will not receive any payment for the first two weeks of your sanction, unless you are vulnerable.

Thanks for the reply. I am actually now doing as you stated. Was wondering, thought, if the sanction affects Housing Benefit.
  • HertzBox
    BigAunty wrote: »
    oh, blimey, I misread, I expect there's an appeals procedure where perhaps he gets to show what he thinks is the good cause he had in ignoring his instructions? Hopefully someone can outline the appeals process and the hardship payments to him.

I wonder whether the OP was so very keen on his preferred voluntary work, rather than the one he was compelled to take up that week, that he inadvertently sabotaged his mandatory activity so he could prioritise the other.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if, for example, the OP was offered his preferred voluntary position, whether he would have been able to have taken this up or would be forced to do the programme specified by the DWP or forego his benefits anyway?

I mean, the OP has targetted his personal preference to fit in with future study plans so how much discretion does the mandatory work placement scheme allow - - surely the DWP has a very 'computer says no' mentality and expects candidates to do the placement they arrange? Perhaps the OP, if offered his preferred placement that he sought off his own bat, could not have then did it and then continue to claim JSA anyway? I don't know, I'm just generating some debate on this.

Thanks.

You'd've thought that the entire JSA was about facilitating gainful employment eventually. But discretion seems like something that gets in the way of politics. For fear of sounding like a Jedi these people appear to deal in absolutes.
  • HertzBox
    oh, blimey, I misread, I expect there's an appeals procedure where perhaps he gets to show what he thinks is the good cause he had in ignoring his instructions? Hopefully someone can outline the appeals process and the hardship payments to him.

I wonder whether the OP was so very keen on his preferred voluntary work, rather than the one he was compelled to take up that week, that he inadvertently sabotaged his mandatory activity so he could prioritise the other.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if, for example, the OP was offered his preferred voluntary position, whether he would have been able to have taken this up or would be forced to do the programme specified by the DWP or forego his benefits anyway?

I mean, the OP has targetted his personal preference to fit in with future study plans so how much discretion does the mandatory work placement scheme allow - - surely the DWP has a very 'computer says no' mentality and expects candidates to do the placement they arrange? Perhaps the OP, if offered his preferred placement that he sought off his own bat, could not have then did it and then continue to claim JSA anyway? I don't know, I'm just generating some debate on this.

I was wondering and hope to learn more if there is some sort of Tribunal. The literature supplied with the sanction letter appears to make allusions to something of the sort, which is possible for someone in my position to attend. But i'm not sure yet how that works.
  • HertzBox
    Pippin12 wrote: »
    OMG that is so harsh. Unbelievable (but I DO believe it). All I can say is you need to appeal and send in supporting evidence such as the letter telling you of your interview. In the meantime put in an application for a hardship payment to get you through.

I learned about this late and am now feeling out just such a form. Thanks
  • HertzBox
    It's not common for an employer to give so little notice for an interview (one working day) so that's a shame.

However some benefits demand you prioritise time for them and your other household tasks and personal plans must fit round them.

The point about mandatory job seeking activities is that you are compelled to do them rather than just say I need to shop for clothes/read company documentation/cook for my wife. This is stuff you can/should do in your spare time.

If you were in employment and seeking a new position, you would generally spend the evenings and weekends on preparing for the new job interview and cut down on other responsibilities. You might take the day off work for the interview but you might just take the morning or afternoon.

Not having any interview clothes seems woefully underprepared (but can be sorted out in a couple of hours) and 3 days to prepare for an interview is very generous, particularly when you were advised in certain terms of a mandatory start date for your work programme and just decided the 'mandatory' bit didn't apply to you.

So I can see why a full Monday commitment was impossible but not why you felt you deserved the Friday to yourself.

If you tell an employer you can't get in because there's a bus strike and I think you'll find they'll expect you to come in a cab or get a lift from a colleague.

But no real harm is done despite the sanction as you are now in employment (so long as you turn up when your employer expects you to..)

Unfortunately, i wasn't successful.
  • Somerset
    Somerset Posts: 3,633
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    HertzBox wrote: »
    But surely, the proof of the excuse would be in not doing the Mandatory work in the first place. I attended the Mandatory Work Activity program after my Monday interview and continued to do so for three days until I was instructed no to attend by the Jobcenter.

Don't see the logic.

Attending after Monday doesn't prove you couldn't attend Friday. Because you could - the interview was on Monday.
  • Somerset wrote: »
    Don't see the logic.

Attending after Monday doesn't prove you couldn't attend Friday. Because you could - the interview was on Monday.

This is why any appeal should fail. There is no good reason for not attending on the Friday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure