Need the exact date I passed my driving test?

chris301up
chris301up Posts: 22 Forumite
Right, I have a bit of a problem.

I know I passed my motorcycle test in 1969 and my car test in 1970 and this was clearly marked on the old red book type licence.

When these were withdrawn and replaced with the paper style licence, and subsequently with the photo-card licence, the details indicate from 1976 onwards, but this of course is not the case.

I have been asked many times, especially by insurance company's, for the exact dates. but of course this is too long ago for me to remember.

I have been in touch with the DVLA but without any success.

Does anyone know how else I may be able to find out this information?

Comments

• Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    I'd honestly just give them the closest approximate date. After so long I can't see it making a lot of difference. :)
    :cool:
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It surely can't make a difference if you just say, say, May 1970 or just make a date up, can it?

I can remember 19 Feb 1975 so i've never had the problem.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the DVLA don't even know then it will be impossible to prove that you were wrong.

The declarations are that "this information is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

If it was more than 10 years ago they most likely don't care anyway, the system just needs to ask that question for when they are dealing with younger drivers.
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Just don't say you passed on the 25th of December or anything silly! :D
    :cool:
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Outpost wrote: »
    Just don't say you passed on the 25th of December or anything silly! :D

29th Februrary 1969
  • greenman7
    greenman7 Posts: 72 Forumite
    If you still have your paper style license it tells you on there. Just looked at mine and it says 20 05 75. The step daughter just said I was a late starter - but driving was not the essential thing then that it now appears to be, so I was in no hurry to learn.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    if you were a new driver and a miss match of dates occurerd you would refure back to your pass slip with your minor faults on it, since this is a fair time ago then i would say that it only matters to what information the dvla hold on you, and that it ties in with what you put donw for insurance purposes, like discovered here the insurance company's are going through policy's with a fine toothed combe when a accident arises to get out of paying.

if this happens then TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLADGE I.E the date on your license you had put would be a good foot hold overthem, because THE DVLA NEVER MAKE MISTAKES appart from eraseing bike licenses a few years ago dont forget.
  • greenman7 wrote: »
    If you still have your paper style license it tells you on there. Just looked at mine and it says 20 05 75. The step daughter just said I was a late starter - but driving was not the essential thing then that it now appears to be, so I was in no hurry to learn.

My wife and I checked our paper licences and they do NOT give the date we passed our tests. My pass was over 44 years ago, and I don't remember or have any record of the date. In the old days it wouldn't have mattered because I bought insurance over the telephone from a real person but now I can't use services like Tesco Compare because they insist on an exact date which i simply don't have.
  • Tesco Compare only want the month and year you passed your test, so as you know it was 1970 for a car, just put down 12/1970.

There is no way that a few months either way will make the slightest difference to any quote and by using December, you can show that you've not increased the time you have held a full licence (not that it will ever get asked).
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I cant believe that some people cant remember such a life changing date, I paseed my test on the glorious 12th, Ive just aske hubby and his was July 1st 1975
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure