Best cheap cat litter?

Comments

• jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Either the Sainsburys or Pets at Home ultra clumping litters are the best by far, I use hardly any with an indoor cat.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • scot88
    scot88 Posts: 351 Forumite
    I too use sainsbury clumping . It's the best one I've found at the price.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2011 at 1:08PM
    Tesco Value and Sainsburys Basic appear to be the same product, they are around £1.40 for a 10L bag, and I've been using either of them since we got Sammy last May. Neither smell, they work well, and boy did I notice how good they were compared to Co-op brand one, which I bought in an emergency :eek:!!
  • h.cowell
    h.cowell Posts: 228 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2011 at 6:01PM
    Just want to add this, my experiences with cat litter :).

I recently bought Sainsbury's ultra clumping cat litter at £4.06 for a 5L bag (81p/L). I hated it with a passion, and it lasted 5 days before I threw it out. It had started smelling badly despite de-clumping twice a day, and the clumps stuck like concrete to the plastic even though I filled the tray to several inches.

Changed a few days ago to clumping Oko plus cat litter from Pets at Home, and couldn't be happier - what a difference! It really does clump! So easy to clean, and the clumps don't stick to the plastic. No smell either. It's a revelation. It looks dearer at £8.29 for a 10L bag, but this works out at 83p/L and I'm sure it's going to last much, much longer :)

Edited to add: I've just read the thread again and obviously these litters are more expensive than the value/basic ranges, but might be worth considering at some point? I'll let you know how long my latest purchase lasts!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Calculating price per litter is only sometimes a good guide but if one litre of cat litter lasts much longer than 1 litre of another...

Personally I found tesco's own clumping was way too coearse and did not clump as such, it was just sticking like concrete to the sides/bottom of the tray.

The 3 litters I mention (with photos) in my post above are very fine, like sand, clump very well and there is no waste whatever so they last much longer.

At £5.50 per 7 litre bag they work out at £0.76 per litre so actaually sometimes even cheaper then "economy" brands and considering they last much longer - they are definitely cheaper...
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    I use the worlds best cat litter. It's not the cheapest but it is brilliant. It is easy to clean up and a small 3kg (i think bag) easily lasts a month with one cat.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    I always buy catsan.

I have tried loads of others but nothing matches it!
  • rita-rabbit
    rita-rabbit Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pets at Home clumping is good
    Oko cats best also
    I do mix with Aldi or Liddles to stretch it however best bet is to order a large amount online (to save money), I get both food (Burns dried & Aniconda Carny, tinned) and litter mostly from Zooplus.
  • crafty*kate
    crafty*kate Posts: 158 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Gosh, thank you all so much for your posts - really really useful.

I am trying the Sainsburys clumping stuff at the moment, and I will try the other suggestions as well - will make a trip to Pets at Home at some point soon.

Neffy, I am sorry about Marmaduke, I'm sure you must miss him.

Kate x
  • tcr_3
    tcr_3 Posts: 580 Forumite
    We're recent converts to World's Best cat litter, it was recommended by the local Cat Protection volunteer. We've two cats & have been previously using cheapo stuff mixed in with Catsan.

World's Best costs about £18-£20 for a 7.5 kg sack, umpteen places to get it online, started using it a week ago today and only topped the tray up last night. The pee clumps brilliantly, never seen anything like it ... you just scoop that out with the solids and the tray's as good as new. Apart from the stink bomb when the cat's just used it, there's very little odour at all.

Seriously, give it a try, bit pricey to begin with but it seems to last ages, well impressed.
    I no longer contribute to the Benefits & Tax Credits forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure