'Giving Evidence At Parliament: What do I wear?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• I think that you need to be comfortable and smart.

Go for your trade mark stripey shirt and [STRIKE]skin-tight[/STRIKE] trousers.

Good luck!!!!
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Smart shirt and smart trousers, and good luck :)
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No jeans! You want them to take you seriously. Give the hell from us
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    this is just my kind of thread :D

Suit or one of those jackets, but no pinstripes please if it is ok to say so - whenever I see someone with stripe suit he looks like a car salesman to me. Could be because each time we bought a car I've been served by someone wearing pinstriped suit. You know me. I look.

I'm very shallow I shamelessly confess, a nice belt and shoes and a good jacket - well-fitting shirt and nice slacks which are of any color but black, not wool though, that's for ancient men. If it's ok to suggest no need for tie - wearing suit, black and a tie would be uberhip I feel. I'd find this as a business meeting and not a political meeting, so you're allowed to be fashionable.

My husband has this policy, if he's going for a meeting to get something sorted for himself, then he would be formal and go by the conventions even if it means feeling a bit dressed up, but when they want something from him then he'll keep it all less complicated and leave it with those who go to meet him to worry about it.

good luck
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You could always give this outfit another outing :eek:
    MARTINLEWISNUMBER10.jpg
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry Martin, it has to be a suit, shirt and tie with nicely polished shoes. Please give the jeans a rest, they look like they need a good iron and you need to be taken seriously :o
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm with you on this one Martin, go for the halfway house shirt and trousers.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Im sitting at GMTV - got a dark purple shirt on - and am wearing dark pinstriped trousers (no jeans) and smart shoes. Think the half way house works.

I never wear suits barring weddings - i think its important i dont dress 'financial' in my job role - so didnt want to feel false by doing so.

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Why not do what us girlies just have to do sometimes and get changed in the cab over?

At least you won't have the juddering cab while you're trying to do your lippy or, heaven forbid, mascara...or maybe you're a Joey Tribianni type who uses lip gloss...now there's a thought!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • A tee shirt with "credit card rates are extortion"
    and "we saved the bankers so they could extort us with credit card rates"

Honestly Martin, you know it's the ever increasing rates which stop many moneysavers from ever getting out of debt. They need to be capped at something fair - eg bank base rate plus 3% tops!!!!

If you want to wear a suit what about getting the message on a badge buttoned on? Use the media attention....as you are good at.

Go Martin!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport