DLA Renewal - How long for decision???

Comments

• emporer
    emporer Posts: 59 Forumite
    We sent off for a change in our sons DLA for the mobility part to be added when he is 3 in September, took about 3.5 weeks in total and only was a couple of days after we had the letter stating it would be upto 11 weeks etc, quite pleased now as they have put it indefinately so we don't need to claim again until 2022.
  • the_greed
    the_greed Posts: 156 Forumite
    the_greed wrote: »
    I sent off forms on the 27th March because my husband 's circumstances have changed. I received a letter saying that it can take up to 11 weeks. Received letter today saying that "We are sorry that we have not given you a decision on your claim for DLA yet we will deal with your request as quickly as we can. We will write to you again as soon as we can with more information".

Don't know how long this will take.

Does anyone know?
  • tenacioust123
    tenacioust123 Posts: 276 Forumite
    the_greed wrote: »
    Does anyone know?

Basically they treat it as a new claim, so they may contact your husband GP or/and consultant so it can depend on how long they take to reply.
    Three things can happen.

Your claim will stay the same, there wiill be an increase or there will be a decrease.

Good Luck
  • the_greed
    the_greed Posts: 156 Forumite
    My husband has had a laryngectomee and as a result now breathes through a hole in his neck. He was on HRM and LRC, I informed them of a change in circumstances as his care needs have changed, so we will see what happens.
  • Saversue
    Saversue Posts: 1,918
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I applied at the beginning of December for an increase from low to high Mobility because my circumstances have changed. I have had several letters saying they are unable to deal with my claim because of no response from my Hospital Consultant. Now I have just received a letter saying they have written to my GP for a report. Has anyone been in this position or have any advice?
    I was hoping to get a DLA car as I can no longer drive my car which has a clutch, but the claim is taking so long, I won't have the award for long enough, as I thought you had to have 3 years DLA, to exchange for a mobility car, and its now six month since I claimed
  • tenacioust123
    tenacioust123 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Saversue wrote: »
    I applied at the beginning of December for an increase from low to high Mobility because my circumstances have changed. I have had several letters saying they are unable to deal with my claim because of no response from my Hospital Consultant. Now I have just received a letter saying they have written to my GP for a report. Has anyone been in this position or have any advice?
    I was hoping to get a DLA car as I can no longer drive my car which has a clutch, but the claim is taking so long, I won't have the award for long enough, as I thought you had to have 3 years DLA, to exchange for a mobility car, and its now six month since I claimed

You have to have DLA high mobility for 12 months to be able to get a motability car. Awards can be made at different increments from 12 months to indefinate.
  • Saversue
    Saversue Posts: 1,918
    Forumite
    Thanks for that
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For the avoidance of ambiguity "you must have at least 12 months' award length remaining" NOT have had DLA for 12 months. See here.

See the referrals thread here for details of the extra £25 you can get on receipt of Motability car.
    because of no response from my Hospital Consultant.

I had a similar problem with my consultant though it was a report to my employer (not DWP) for which the consultant charged a fee. She would not send report till they paid her, they would not pay till they received the report! I just had to keep chasing both sides till eventually the consultant released the report. Not good news when you are sick anyway.... If you have the strength, just keep chasing all parties. Good luck!
  • chnelomi
    chnelomi Posts: 462 Forumite
    sorry to jump on this thread but i have a question i hope one of you may be able to answer. my sister is awaiting the result of a claim for dla at the moment. she has gotten some bad news in regards to the success of her last operation. should we inform dla that her condition is worse than the form states or wait till she gets a reply and go from their.

she's a worrier and is convinced she wont get the dla as her condition wasn't as bad then as it is now so the info on the forms and what the doctors will say may be different.What if they think she is trying to get it when she shouldn't by making symtoms etc worse after being refused and needs to appeal.so had to promise i would ask for advice to keep her happy. i will also need to ask her about the acknolegement letter as i can't recal her getting one!

all advice appreciated
    thankyou
    slowly going nuts at the world:T
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    Forumite
    Saversue wrote: »

I saw a comment on one thread that said they had received the award too late to apply for a motability car and they rang the DLA and the award was extended by a few months. I've not tried it myself but if DH gets HRM on this application I'll be on the phone sorting it out asap.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business