help with moving costs on ESA

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help?

I'm moving from Gosport (Hampshire UK) to County Durham (UK) to be closer to family but I'm having trouble getting my stuff (and animals) to my new house.

I am on income related ESA and have applied for a budgeting loan (and been turned down), and a crisis loan (been turned down aswell), asked for a loan at the bank (been told don't have enough income), cant get an overdraft (as I have a basic account), cant get a credit card (as I currently don't work and my credit rating is poor), cant get a loan anywhere (as I don't work and credit rating is poor), I've asked family members (but none of them have any spare cash they can help me with as were not a very well off family).

I've been told that there is no community care grant anymore does anyone have any idea if there is any help out there for people with disabilities who are trying to move back to their families? or anything else anyone can suggest?

I just seem to keep coming up against brick walls with everything I try and my mental health is getting worse because of it I have cried non-stop all day today because I feel I've tried everything and I'm just getting nowhere.

Comments

• Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    1st and foremost - Are you physically OK to help move your stuff? If so and there is not too much in the way of furniture - you might want to consider hiring a man with a Van as that would be a fairly cheap option, family may be able to chip in a little each for the time being and then you pay them back in due course. Do you have any neighbours where you live who could help you pack the contents up? It might be worth getting rid of stuff on gumtree for a small amount of money and then perhaps getting other stuff once you are up north. There are always options. Freecycle and freegle web sites are good sources of stuff and it is often in very good order, so it may be worth not taking stuff other than say your bed and one chair and the contents and your clothing etc. It all depends on how attached you are to your furniture.
  • Happi
    Happi Posts: 1,523
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    bon89 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help?

I'm moving from Gosport (Hampshire UK) to County Durham (UK) to be closer to family but I'm having trouble getting my stuff (and animals) to my new house.

I am on income related ESA and have applied for a budgeting loan (and been turned down), and a crisis loan (been turned down aswell), asked for a loan at the bank (been told don't have enough income), cant get an overdraft (as I have a basic account), cant get a credit card (as I currently don't work and my credit rating is poor), cant get a loan anywhere (as I don't work and credit rating is poor), I've asked family members (but none of them have any spare cash they can help me with as were not a very well off family).

I've been told that there is no community care grant anymore does anyone have any idea if there is any help out there for people with disabilities who are trying to move back to their families? or anything else anyone can suggest?

I just seem to keep coming up against brick walls with everything I try and my mental health is getting worse because of it I have cried non-stop all day today because I feel I've tried everything and I'm just getting nowhere.

Contact your local authority who are now replacing community care grants, called local authority assistance grants or something like that.

And good luck with your move :)
  • i know what your going through my sister was in a very similar position few weeks ago she got no help from dwp or her local council at all she got refused everywhere she turned so i the end we all had to club together to pay for the move
  • Happi
    Happi Posts: 1,523
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Don't get fobbed off by councils , the government has given them pots of money for this, get social services involved or local mp if you have to.
  • bon89
    bon89 Posts: 3 Newbie
    thank you all so much with your replies I will try my local council Monday morning. I have nobody here that will help as I've tried everyone. my stuff is all packed up already I've been packing It up slowly bit by bit day by day just a bit upset that people who said they would help have turned their back on me. I understand not everyone has the time to help but I thought families were supposed to help more than other people lol. I hope the council or someone can help otherwise I could lose the house ive waited so long for and I don't really want that :( Wish me luck guys lol xx
  • Wishing you pots of luck with your move! :D xx

It is SO difficult now , seems the 'help' promised is NO HELP AT ALL - Can you APPEAL the decision for the budgeting loan?

Did they say WHY it was turned down???

I applied for help from the CCG before April as am planning a move too but was turned down , applied for help from the council , turned down , now have just applied for a budgeting loan so we will see...

Are there any charities which can help as it seems now the council and benefits service are not really helping those in need at all many people are now turning to charities as the only option

Please try and find out if there is any help out there as things are getting RIDICULOUS now with people just ''left to it'' even though they cannot manage on their own and genuinely need help!!! :(:(

Your social services should have a list of charities who may be able to help and it would be worth contacting social services anyway and explaining your situation

Not everyone has families who can help out & then I do not know where people are expected to turn but my guess is both charities and churches etc will be stepping in to breach the gap , but that said I wonder who can afford to GIVE to charities in the current climate AND the need for help is so much greater now I doubt they can help everyone but it is indeed certainly worth a try as there and some WONDERFUL charities out there and the bonus is they are more CARING than the government ''help'' which is now getting beyond a joke!!!

Just keep fighting for and seeking help and I am sure you will get it , it is getting harder but not impossible...

I for one have just started giving a SMALL amount to a few charities as I know things are hard for many and I want to give a little bit to help others out at least , we gotta all stick together in times like this and support and advise each other , which is great :T xxx
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tvw muvwd within the past few weeks and to be honest, i didnt even bother to apply for any grants. the added stress would have been detrimental.
    i borrowed money from my parents ( i have moved 3 doors away, but thye refitting of carpets was an evormous cost)
    at the moment i owe money and dont like it. but at some point it will be a memory and i can go forward
  • bon89
    bon89 Posts: 3 Newbie
    i was turned down for the budgeting loan because I owe them money from crisis loans that I had to have to live on because they messed about with my money and that was well over 3 years ago and they still haven't taken it out of my benefits over that time period.

I don't know if there are any charities but I will certainly look and find out for you but yeah it is ridiculous being left to it when you cant physically do it yourself or cant afford it because u cant work. they don't think about people like us :(:(
  • benefitbaby
    benefitbaby Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    You should also try your local CAB, many know of local charities and can assist with submitting applications. Good luck
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Happi wrote: »
    Don't get fobbed off by councils , the government has given them pots of money for this, get social services involved or local mp if you have to.

Pots of money for what - so people in social housing can move to be near family?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure