FREE Software Unlock For Nokia BB5 6630,6680,6681,N70,N71 N90 and N91

Browntoa
Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
thanks to Richard for pointing this out to me, all the information plus a link to the software in the first post of the unlock Nokia thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=383930

all you need is the free software and a Nokia DKU5 (USB) cable which is often supplied with these phones.

I'd like to point out that this software was freely released by the creator Dejan and was reverse engineered (not hacked Nokia software but written from scratch) so as far as I'm aware it's 100% legal, it is legal to remove Network Locks from phones in the UK.

As pointed out below if this is used on the INCORRECT models not listed you will damage the sim lock data

This unlocker only works on the handsets listed below.

N70
N71
N90
N91

ps, stop sending me messages asking for help, I have not used the software...I will delete them without replying.

If you read through the thread there are pointers to identifying the correct cable and also a link to a guide on how to remove the Network Branding from the phone as well.At least one person has now confirmed this works.

got this from post 76... thank you to g33za..it includes important information about why you should back up the phone !!

OMG! YES I finally done it!

And it was very much a difficult procedure and for those about to try it please read this before possibily semi-bricking your phone.
  • I have a Nokia 6680 with 3 branding and locked to 3. v4.04 firmware
  • I used this dku-5 (clone/3rd party) cable:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-DATA-CABLE...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Original Nokia DKU-2, CA-53 and DKU-5 (6 pin version) do not work, confirmed by me! I havent a DKU-5 (full set).
I installed the dku-5 clone drivers etc and it picked up the cable and assigned a com port to it. I read the phone, it showed the info blah blah and wrote the backup file in the associated backup folder (this is important).

Tried the make log and it gave an sp error and the phone rebooted.. tried again something about unable to save log... at this point i copied the backup file from the backup folder to a completely different location (just in case). I tried a few more times and (probably my fault) i ended up getting [SIZE=-1]SP Data IS corrupted error. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]At this point my phone started showing contact retailer message!!!! [Panic starts coming in]... a quick google shows same errors experienced by other on the gsm forums and solutions pointing to either Phone back to Nokia Service centre or trying the backup file. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Now in the process of messing about with the phone (just want it unlocked) the backup file was overwritten by the now corrupt sp data so even the WR Backup function wasn't working. Putting the original 3 sim card in would bring up unvalid sim card error!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]:mad:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]This was all yesterday evening... at which point I left it thinking damn i'm gonna have to send back to the service centre and pay £20 quid or whatever it'll cost. This morning I remember I had the other backup I copied earlier, i checked the file contents and they were different.. so I copied the original back and did WR Backup, and the phone was restored (athough back to locked state). Tried reading phone again... reads fine, make log... error... then redid the WR Backup... all fine, Make log... successful!! did the calc.. success and finally unlock... success!! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]What a relief!! and following that I also managed to debrand the phone too so now on firmware 5.04 with no crappy 3 branding and fully unlocked.. yes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]In summary, READ PHONE, then copy the <imei>.bb5 file in the backup folder somewhere else as your original backup and possible overwrites from corrupted backups. It saved me from a semi-bricked phone.[/SIZE]

Make sure you have installed the drivers and under device manager it has a com port between 1 and 9.

Instructions:
1. Connect DKU-5 or normal COM cable to computer
2. Set proper COM cable port (must be, between 1 and 9)
3. Download unlocker, run `install.bat`
4. Open file c:/bb5_unlocker/logs/bb5_unlocker.cfg (Open this with notepad) and enter here proper COM port (1-9)
5. Run c:/bb5 unlocker/BB5logunlocker.exe (looking at the video posted this part is done in a dos window,Start, then ALL Programs, then Accessories, then Command prompt and then run the program direct from the directory, not from windows)
6. Click READ PHONE
7. Click MAKE LOG, log will be created
8. Enter codes to phone (in /psw/ dir), or
9. Click SP UNLOCK to enter codes via FBUS

Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member

Comments

• z4kir
    z4kir Posts: 455 Forumite
    Apparently I need Jaf Com Emulator for the dku5 cable, any idea where I can get my hands on it?
    SLC: £13000+

Quidco
    : £
    131.24 (paid) + £0 (validated) = £131.24
    Valued Opinions
    : £75 (paid) + £52.30 (received) + £4.50 (pending) = £131.80
    StudentPanel: £25
  • g33za
    g33za Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fantastic, was going to call 3 for my unlock code next month... will try this tonight..
    ummm...
  • Browntoa
    I don't think you do need the com emulator, you can unlock with just the cable

you only need JAF for the fbus cables
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Here is a list of models that this unlocker SHOULD unlock.

This unlocker only works on the handsets listed below.

n70
    n71
    n90
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Instructions:
    1. Connect DKU-5 or normal COM cable to computer
    2. Set proper COM cable port (must be, between 1 and 9)
    3. Download unlocker, run `install.bat`
    4. Open file c:/bb5_unlocker/logs/bb5_unlocker.cfg (Open this with notepad) and enter here proper COM port (1-9)
    5. Run c:/bb5 unlocker/BB5logunlocker.exe (looking at the video posted this part is done in a dos window,Start, then ALL Programs, then Accessories, then Command prompt and then run the program direct from the directory, not from windows)
    6. Click READ PHONE
    7. Click MAKE LOG, log will be created
    8. Enter codes to phone (in /psw/ dir), or
    9. Click SP UNLOCK to enter codes via FBUS
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • am using both DKU-2 DKU-5 but these are USB cables, So what do i set the COM port as?

Am i missing something?:confused:

Thanks!
  • z4kir
    z4kir Posts: 455 Forumite
    am using both DKU-2 DKU-5 but these are USB cables, So what do i set the COM port as?

Am i missing something?:confused:

Thanks!

Try Com ports 1-9 (ie save and then open the program)

Browntoa you might want to add the current list of phones that can be unlocked to the first post
    SLC: £13000+

Quidco
    : £
    131.24 (paid) + £0 (validated) = £131.24
    Valued Opinions
    : £75 (paid) + £52.30 (received) + £4.50 (pending) = £131.80
    StudentPanel: £25
  • Riyazi
    Riyazi Posts: 227 Forumite
    What about the E65 ? Is it possible to unlock this phone with this method ?
    I have learnt that living life to the fullest gives you a much better high than alcohol or drugs !
  • Browntoa
    no, I have already posted the FULL list above...
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Does not work, Need to get a COM port, but phone connected by USB, tired com 1-9:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure