Cheapest place to buy dried fruits, nuts - trail mix type stuff

Where is the best place to buy this sort of stuff in bulk?

Dried banana chips
Dried cranberries
Yoghurt coated raisens
Cashews

Etc etc

I want to make my own trail mix and healthy snack packs and want to buy the above in big bags (500g or bigger) I took a quick look in holland and Barrett but was a bit put off buy the prices. Is this the going rate for this sort of thing? It struck me as being the sort of thing that should be cheap.

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    nuno wrote: »
    It struck me as being the sort of thing that should be cheap.

Nope, it's marketed as being healthy, therefore they hike the price up.

Back in the 70's they used to put the price of fruit and veg up and claim it was because the cost of the chemicals they put on them was going up.

These days the cost goes up and they claim it's because they are NOT putting chemicals on them. Implying it's more healthy for you if they don't, so you will pay a higher price .
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 June 2011 at 10:47PM
    nuno wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy this sort of stuff in bulk?

Dried banana chips
    Dried cranberries
    Yoghurt coated raisens
    Cashews

Etc etc

I want to make my own trail mix and healthy snack packs and want to buy the above in big bags (500g or bigger) I took a quick look in holland and Barrett but was a bit put off buy the prices. Is this the going rate for this sort of thing? It struck me as being the sort of thing that should be cheap.

for cranberries check out the dried ones in the supermarkets baking section and look at julian graves

and same with the cashews
  • nuno
    nuno Posts: 112 Forumite
    Thanks I'll check there. I've found a couple of places online that don't look so bad. I've seen Chinese supermarkets recommended. I work not too far from china town in soho so will go and check it out after work tomorrow.
  • cherrykerry
    cherrykerry Posts: 168
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Try https://www.realfoods.co.uk they have a lot of dried fruit/nuts and are cheaper the more you buy. I have had a couple of orders off them so far and been impressed with the service.
  • kittycatface
    kittycatface Posts: 626 Forumite
    Dont know where you are based but google your nearest city and "wholefood store". Where i live has one that sells these kinds of things cheap if you are prepared to buy in bulk (http://www.dailybread.co.uk/ if you happen to be in Cambridge or Nottingham). Good luck!
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    (http://www.dailybread.co.uk/ if you happen to be in Cambridge or Nottingham). Good luck!

Should read Cambridge or Northampton....was getting all excited that there was one in Nottingham:o
  • supersally01
    supersally01 Posts: 785 Forumite
    The had mixed fruit and nut packs in Home Bargains today, so may be worth a look.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    also QD have 200g packs mixed nuts £1

The market often has cheap offers too
  • i'm also a big fan of dried fruit, like dried apple, dried banana. they contains less sugar and the strong flavor. :j:beer:
  • oooh real foods in edinburgh
    planning a trip
    xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills