Benefits check up guide and tool discussion

Comments

• hi i've done the benefit checker previously & again today & it says that we are entitled to council tax benefit , i've tried claiming council benefit twice before & both times told we weren't entitled to council tax benefit , according to the 'benefit checker ' we should only be paying around £200 per year instead of £1100 , has anyone had the same happen or any successful stories .
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    quillian wrote: »
    Please advise why / how this otherwise useful tool suggests I receive a weekly income of 380 pound on capital of 200,000 pounds i.e. almost 20% or ten times the best available through UK banks after the GFC ruined us all.

Can anyone tell me where to get 20% interest?

If not this tool needs to be overhauled and corrected; please do so.

Where does it suggest that? I doubt that it does. (That is, it does not suggest that you can receive 20% interest.)
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    The calc didn't work for me, as it didn't even remove the correct figures for income tax and NI, then told me i should be entitled to £70 pw working tax, we get £2.36 pw which by my workings as well as tax office is correct, i think you should remove the calc as a few people have come unstuck using the entitled to on-line calc as the figure's are so way off (may as well be in narnia) and many have ended up in debt thinking they would get somewhere in the region of the figures it spits out, when reality bites that their intitled to very little or sod all
  • My husband and I are already on Pension Credit but when using the the 5 mins benefit checker it says that we should be receiving approx £50 a week more than we are getting and that we should not have to pay council tax and we do albeit reduced. Could Works and Pension have got it that wrong?

Polly
  • David_Mee
    David_Mee Posts: 127 Forumite
    Hi, with all the recent !!!!!!ing around with benefits etc my daughter (a single parent) is worse off and is now needing to check ways of increasing her income. Shes worried though that increased wages would then stop benfits all together. Is there any simple way of finding the ceilings up to which she can earn and not worsen her situation?
  • misssmcc
    misssmcc Posts: 155 Forumite
    i just put my new income in for the job i start on monday, it told me i should get FULL rent and council tax benefits (minus water) after starting work, infact i will be getting £11.98 HB and £0.63 CTB lol, i dont think it works very well.
    <insert super cool inspirational sig here>
  • I'd love to know where i should invest my savings so that I could get 426 pound a week income from them please because that would put an end to my worries :( ....please do tell!
  • dseventy
    dseventy Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    The biggest problem benefits claimants have is overpayments. This is usually because their circumstances change and "forget" or don't think to inform the DWP/JC/whatever.

The tool makes no reference to this (or its not obvious).

Can I suggest this is added/made more apparant?

D70
    How about no longer being masochistic?
    How about remembering your divinity?
    How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out?
    How about not equating death with stopping?
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    dseventy wrote: »
    The biggest problem benefits claimants have is overpayments. This is usually because their circumstances change and "forget" or don't think to inform the DWP/JC/whatever.

The tool makes no reference to this (or its not obvious).

Can I suggest this is added/made more apparant?

D70
    I doubt anything can be added as it's just the entitledto calculator. ;)
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • dseventy
    dseventy Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    DX2 wrote: »
    I doubt anything can be added as it's just the entitledto calculator. ;)

Not even the text above and below the calculator on each page?

Really?

D70
    How about no longer being masochistic?
    How about remembering your divinity?
    How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out?
    How about not equating death with stopping?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure