Lifestyle Claims

Comments

• CFrog
    CFrog Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I too took a call from Lifestyle Claims before Xmas. Although I made it I clear I HAD NOT taken out PPI, I was assured that I would get (at least) £1800 back from banks etc for loans / mortgages I had taken out. I too (foolishly) paid across £352 to them before Xmas but when I rec'd the documentation it was clearly targetted at those who had taken out PPI; it ignored my situation. By the time I rec'd and had read their documents I was outside their so-called 14 day cooling off period so was not able to get my £352 back.

I spoke to the MoJ who pointed me to their 'Conduct of Authorised Persons' Rules (Rule 15) and another 'note of warning' that states no up-front fees should be taken. They also advised me that the cooling off period starts from the date at which the documentation is signed not at the time the call is taken.

(Legally I am not sure how robust the 'Pre-Contact Agreement' is that Lifestyle Claims send through (after their initial marketing call) as everything is verbal at that stage and no contract has been signed).

Despite sending this back to Lifestyle Claims they have just returned all my orignical documentation and said that the only way I could get my money back would be to give them more money and continue with my claims against the bansk ect for PPI that I have not taken out !!!

Having spoken to MoJ again they have advised that I contact Lifestyle Claims again requesting a return of my payment and copy all documentation to them (MoJ) at [EMAIL="consumersupport.cmu@staffordshire.gov.uk"]consumersupport.cmu@staffordshire.gov.uk[/EMAIL] (apparently Staffs CC Trading Standards perofrm an outsource service to MoJ for these complaints).

I too will be contacting the Mail on Sunday and TV's Watchdog to see what they can do on my (our) behalf.
  • Hi....
    We too paid a large sum of money to Lifestyle claims.....
    Woke up suffering "byers remorse"....
    Paid them the money in november......
    Still waiting......!
    This group informed us that they were regulated by the ministry of justice.....[which is why we paid the money] Does anyone here know whether or not we have been robbed ...And should we report them to the ministry of justice for frauldulent activity......?
  • peacockharris
    peacockharris Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 20 January 2011 at 10:27AM
    Chefone wrote: »
    Hi....
    We too paid a large sum of money to Lifestyle claims.....
    Woke up suffering "byers remorse"....
    Paid them the money in november......
    Still waiting......!
    This group informed us that they were regulated by the ministry of justice.....[which is why we paid the money] Does anyone here know whether or not we have been robbed ...And should we report them to the ministry of justice for frauldulent activity......?

I've worked for Lifestyle claims and understand people's hesitancy in trusting someone cold calling you (what intelligent person wouldn't?) but the people on here above saying that it's a "known scam" are frankly talking out of their anuses. They're simply insuring that they're gonna get paid. It's the ones that don't take payment up front you have to worry about because they'll assure you it's "no win no fee" however if they investigate it and there's no claim to be made, they slap you with a "fine" instead for wasting their time. Even though they were the ones adamant in the first place that you'd have a claim to go ahead with.

Lifestyle claims is amongst the top 5 in the UK, and soon, all the smaller companies will be shut down so the MOJ can more easily regulate them. Lifestyle Claims might even have a representative in the MOJ itself soon is what I was told in a recent pep talk.

This is actually my first day off the job. I just haven't turned up for work as cold calling is utterly soul-destroying :p
    SS1976 wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondered if anyone can help at all, I have given this company some money upfront who are going to look in to my mortgage and other things like credit cards etc, and say they can guarantee a minimum of £2,500 or your money you've laid down back, can anyone give me any advice as i'm currently sending my documents over to them. ps. I think I have no ppi which didn't seem to bother them as they said there are lots of flaws in the terms and conditions.

Thanks very much in advance! :)

It's £1,800 not £2,500. If they said the latter, you were mis advised. And the reason they guarantee £1,800 or your money back is because if it's less money, they simply don't pursue a claim.
    dunstonh wrote: »

The success rate on this sort of thing is in the low single digits. Probably around 1-2%. Any claims company still doing this sort of thing is either doing it knowing they are going to go into administration at some point taking all you paid with them or its an even more blatent scam where they take your money and then do a runner. Possibly selling your personal data on to third parties for them to scam you as well.

Well that's also utter pap. You seem to be pulling this info out of your bum. Fair enough being wary, but you're passing off assumptions as fact. PPI has been missold on 85% of mortgages loans and credit cards, and usually the person is clueless that it's even on there as the interest they're paying is paying into the PPI as well as the initial lending amount. There's also Brokers fees, commissions and other charges to look into which raises the figure further. Most of these agreements have this added unless the customer knew specifically to opt out (was told about the worthlessness of PPI by someone "in the know" beforehand) but even if that was the case, they'd still be eligible for the added fees.
    As for going into administration and doing a runner with your money. Yes, there are companies who have done this, but lifestyle claims is now enormous and would never just shut up shop. Not to mention the MOJ is now clamping down and watching over them even more than usual as all the smaller companies are shut down.
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They're simply insuring that they're gonna get paid. It's the ones that don't take payment up front you have to worry about because they'll assure you it's "no win no fee" however if they investigate it and there's no claim to be made, they slap you with a "fine" instead for wasting their time. Even though they were the ones adamant in the first place that you'd have a claim to go ahead with.

Do you realise how ridiculous this reasoning is?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,312 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but the people on here above saying that it's a "known scam" are frankly talking out of their anuses.

So, the OFT and MoJ having to issue warnings about claims companies doing this means they are talking out of their backsides as well then? Or the many companies that the MoJ have shut down or the ones that Police are now taking action against under advance fee fraud.
    They're simply insuring that they're gonna get paid. It's the ones that don't take payment up front you have to worry about because they'll assure you it's "no win no fee" however if they investigate it and there's no claim to be made, they slap you with a "fine" instead for wasting their time. Even though they were the ones adamant in the first place that you'd have a claim to go ahead with.

So you are saying that the ones that break the rules by taking an up front payment prior to issuing their terms and charges in writing are better than the ones that collect a fee only if successful?
    Lifestyle claims is amongst the top 5 in the UK, and soon, all the smaller companies will be shut down so the MOJ can more easily regulate them. Lifestyle Claims might even have a representative in the MOJ itself soon is what I was told in a recent pep talk.

Cartel was the biggest. They were shut down. I believe Kerobo were bigger. They were shut down.
    Well that's also utter pap. You seem to be pulling this info out of your bum.

Really? What is the success rate on unenforceable credit then? I mean the real figures, not the lies that the claims companies tell people.
    PPI has been missold on 85% of mortgages loans and credit cards, and usually the person is clueless that it's even on there as the interest they're paying is paying into the PPI as well as the initial lending amount.

Please provide evidence that backs up that 85% of MPPI were mis-sold? You won't be able to as you cant. However, what has PPI got to do with unenforceable credit which I was referring to in the bit you copied and pasted.
    There's also Brokers fees, commissions and other charges to look into which raises the figure further.

There has been one successful court case on that front. That was because the broker was independent and took a charge and a commission and didnt disclose the amount of the commission. There is absolutely nothing wrong with commission or fees as long as it is disclosed.
    As for going into administration and doing a runner with your money. Yes, there are companies who have done this, but lifestyle claims is now enormous and would never just shut up shop.

Cartel said the same thing before they went under and took the money of those that signed up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • peacockharris
    edited 20 January 2011 at 11:19AM
    Do you realise how ridiculous this reasoning is?

Which part? Lol. The company insuring they're not wasting their time or other companies having done the whole "fining" thing?
    1.So, the OFT and MoJ having to issue warnings about claims companies doing this means they are talking out of their backsides as well then? Or the many companies that the MoJ have shut down or the ones that Police are now taking action against under advance fee fraud.

2.So you are saying that the ones that break the rules by taking an up front payment prior to issuing their terms and charges in writing are better than the ones that collect a fee only if successful?

3.Cartel was the biggest. They were shut down. I believe Kerobo were bigger. They were shut down.

4.Really? What is the success rate on unenforceable credit then? I mean the real figures, not the lies that the claims companies tell people.

5.Please provide evidence that backs up that 85% of MPPI were mis-sold? You won't be able to as you cant. However, what has PPI got to do with unenforceable credit which I was referring to in the bit you copied and pasted.

6.There has been one successful court case on that front. That was because the broker was independent and took a charge and a commission and didnt disclose the amount of the commission. There is absolutely nothing wrong with commission or fees as long as it is disclosed.

7.Cartel said the same thing before they went under and took the money of those that signed up.

I'll address each point one by one rather than having to copy and paste repeatedly :)

1. I meant in regard to Lifestyle in particular, which is what you made it sound like.

2. As far as I'm aware, taking an upfront fee isn't breaking the rules. The MOJ regulates them closely and doesn't seem to have a problem with it....if there's something on the MOJ site that states it's against some sort of rule then the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing! Or they're as unscrupulous as our MPs :p
    Also, they can't take a fee until the customer receives it in writing. That's perfectly true! Payment is only taken once the customer has received it in writing in the form of an email or a letter.

3. Cartel Client Review were shut down because they had a massive backlog of claims to go through. They were accepting people's money but could not keep up and people's claims were going over the quoted time period where they were meant to see results.

4. Currently, Lifestyle don't make unenforceability the focus of their calls because of some change that's left things a bit shaky on whether people can even claim for unenforceabilty anymore. Probably our lovely government re-evaluating whether the banks should be crippled as much as they have been (I can't remember what this change is right now though :() I only worked there a week and a half :p. But PPI and extra charges have been the focus while I've worked there. I've never even mentioned unenforceability and was told to scrub it out from my script during my training. All I know about unenforceability is that if a Credit Limit on a Credit Card is increased without the customer requesting it, that's irresponsible lending and they can look into having the balance zeroed.

5. Apparently it's backed up by a survey by 'Which' Consumer Magazine.

6. Well I know people who've signed financial agreements and the extent of being made aware of the extra charges was "so this is how much you'll be paying back a month. Is that alright?" They of course said yes as they assumed the Bank employee had their best interests in mind. That and not having a calculator handy in order to work out that there were hidden added fees.

7. Already covered above.

Now I'm not advocating these claims management companies at all. I think it's disgusting that it's so difficult for people to get the full sum back by themselves. A lot of the time, the customer gets ignored or the lender might try and offer a paltry amount and once you cash the cheque, you've accepted it as a settlement. etc etc
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,312 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    2. As far as I'm aware, taking an upfront fee isn't breaking the rules. The MOJ regulates them closely and doesn't seem to have a problem with it....if there's something on the MOJ site that states it's against some sort of rule then the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing! Or they're as unscrupulous as our MPs
    Also, they can't take a fee until the customer receives it in writing. That's perfectly true! Payment is only taken once the customer has received it in writing in the form of an email or a letter.

The posts above were suggesting the money was taken before the letter arrived.
    3. Cartel Client Review were shut down because they had a massive backlog of claims to go through. They were accepting people's money but could not keep up and people's claims were going over the quoted time period where they were meant to see results.

Cartel closed as they couldnt finance the return of the money as the bulk of what they took was in respect of unenforceability claims. When that door closed in Dec 2009, they would have had to return the money paid up front but by then over £20 million had been taken off people and most of it had been drawn out of the business. The problem with that model (which is one many claims companies use) is that the refunds are paid for by new sign ups. Ultimately the money coming in will stop and the ones left without refunds will lose their money when the company fails.
    4. Currently, Lifestyle don't make unenforceability the focus of their calls because of some change that's left things a bit shaky on whether people can even claim for unenforceabilty anymore. Probably our lovely government re-evaluating whether the banks should be crippled as much as they have been (I can't remember what this change is right now though )

In December 2009 there were some test cases on it and they all found in favour of the lenders. That basically shut down the unenforceability claims. Nothing do with with the Govt. However, if you look at post #9, you will see that they are still using unenforceability as a potential claims reason.
    All I know about unenforceability is that if a Credit Limit on a Credit Card is increased without the customer requesting it, that's irresponsible lending and they can look into having the balance zeroed.

That is wrong. Its certainly a sale reason that claims companies often use but there isnt any truth to it.
    5. Apparently it's backed up by a survey by 'Which' Consumer Magazine.

The figure from Which was the product class in general. Not individual types of PPI. For example, some secured loans are potentially as high as 99%. yet monthly payment MPPI is likely to be in single digits. Single premium MPPI is near 99%. So, when a catchall percentage is used it is not correctly presenting an accurate figure unless its placed in context. So, if the 85% figure is used and mentioned MPPI for example then someone with monthly payment MPPI is going to think they have an 85% chance of success. Yet in reality its much much lower.
    . Well I know people who've signed financial agreements and the extent of being made aware of the extra charges was "so this is how much you'll be paying back a month. Is that alright?" They of course said yes as they assumed the Bank employee had their best interests in mind. That and not having a calculator handy in order to work out that there were hidden added fees.

proving it is hard though and as it will need court action it will be time consuming and expensive. Plus, in that court case, the court ruled that the commission received should be repaid to the borrower. Commission on mortgages is around 0.3%. So, £100k mortgage would generate around £300 commission. Most claims companies have given up on this because its not cost effective as the chances of success are low as it requires fee AND commission (commission only or fee only wont win) and the amount you can win is likely to be less than the charge you pay the claims company.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • peacockharris
    edited 20 January 2011 at 12:24PM
    The posts above were suggesting the money was taken before the letter arrived.

Nah. Credit/Debit card details are taken, but they aren't allowed to actually process the payment until the customer has confirmed they've received all the info in an email or by post.

Cartel closed as they couldnt finance the return of the money as the bulk of what they took was in respect of unenforceability claims. When that door closed in Dec 2009, they would have had to return the money paid up front but by then over £20 million had been taken off people and most of it had been drawn out of the business. The problem with that model (which is one many claims companies use) is that the refunds are paid for by new sign ups. Ultimately the money coming in will stop and the ones left without refunds will lose their money when the company fails.

Kind of what I've been told then, but not really. lol. Basically they took people's money but couldn't deliver the goods. Gotcha. Just so you know I was told this by another CMC i worked for briefly, not Lifestyle. I get around ;) But i stand corrected.

In December 2009 there were some test cases on it and they all found in favour of the lenders. That basically shut down the unenforceability claims. Nothing do with with the Govt. However, if you look at post #9, you will see that they are still using unenforceability as a potential claims reason.

Well we were specifically told not to (and remove it from the outdated script) but I guess some of the long term employees have kept emphasising it (not that that's an excuse)

That is wrong. Its certainly a sale reason that claims companies often use but there isnt any truth to it.

I was not aware of this. Forgive my naivity. Could you be more specific about how it's wrong?

The figure from Which was the product class in general. Not individual types of PPI. For example, some secured loans are potentially as high as 99%. yet monthly payment MPPI is likely to be in single digits. Single premium MPPI is near 99%. So, when a catchall percentage is used it is not correctly presenting an accurate figure unless its placed in context. So, if the 85% figure is used and mentioned MPPI for example then someone with monthly payment MPPI is going to think they have an 85% chance of success. Yet in reality its much much lower.

Again, forgive my ignorance. I guess I should have researched a little before jumping down your throat. :rotfl: There are just a lot of people who will be adamant that everything is a scam and don't back it up with anything but their paranoia, and that annoys me a bit so I made an unfair assumption. You obviously know what you're talking about so I apologise.

proving it is hard though and as it will need court action it will be time consuming and expensive. Plus, in that court case, the court ruled that the commission received should be repaid to the borrower. Commission on mortgages is around 0.3%. So, £100k mortgage would generate around £300 commission. Most claims companies have given up on this because its not cost effective as the chances of success are low as it requires fee AND commission (commission only or fee only wont win) and the amount you can win is likely to be less than the charge you pay the claims company.

I don't think anyone would be advised by Lifestyle that they'd be able to claim back thousands JUST on the fees and commissions. I at least would never have done that while i worked there. It's mentioned as an afterthought more than anything. The main focus is the PPI and we'd say "we'll also be looking into extra charges".

So how would you personally suggest people reclaim their money, in light of how the banks have been known to both ignore and fob customers off with paltry offerings by cheque which count as a settlement if they pay it into their bank? I know this website has a template letter but what's the success rate of that? And how does one ensure they're getting the full amount back?
  • Alpine_Star
    Which part? Lol.

All of it. It is collectively inadequate.
  • Alpine_Star
    And how does one ensure they're getting the full amount back?

By doing it themselves and not paying upfront fees?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure