PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Boiler/ gas service to sell my house??

My boiler has not been serviced recently. House is sold subject to contract and we are ready to exchange. My buyer has now requested I get Landlords gas safety cert/ boiler service at my expense (he is buying it as a buy to let). My solicitor has advised I should not do it, and that buyer should get it checked if he wants to (in the same way that if you get a survey done, you pay, not the seller). My EA agent however, thinks I am being unreasonable in refusing?! (on my solicitors advice!). EA of the property I am buying says this is not a standard request and it is reasonable to say he should do this at his expense. I don't want the sale to fall through over this (obviously), but getting conflicting advice.

As far as I know the system is fine, never had any issues whatsoever, been advised the cert. will be £60-£80 plus any repair costs.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Just to add, taken a drop on what I wanted for the property in order to get a quick sale, so feel the buyer is getting a good buy- not sure if this is really relevant, but prob helps explain why I feel so reluctant to start paying out even more money on the sale!
  • I know where the buyer is coming from.
    As the buyer is a landlord they have to get a boiler cert. If the boiler is condemned (happens a lot) then he will have to pay circa 1400 to replace. I would think that if you say you will sort out cert and if it passes he pays but if it is condemned you will deduct replacement cost from agreed price.
    The buyer will go with that.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I think he's taking the...
    Say no and see what happens. If the deal is then really falling through (rather than him calling your bluff/pushing you to the edge) say you'll get it serviced if he sends you a cheque for £45 (NOT deduct from the house price in case the sale falls through!).

Really don't see why you should get a landlords certificate just because he wants to rent the property out!

Are there any other gas appliances in the house? If so, that costs even more for the certificate.
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    the boiler as with the fabric of the building always has been and remains a matter of survey for the buyer. at the moment it is a sellers market as so few houses are coming on.

if the buyer is being petty over the cost of a service then they are not taking the deal seriously and they probably will n ot exchnage.

your lawyer is dead right but the estate agent is just worried for their commission by the sound of it.

but you will do whatever gets the deal through
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • Oooo thanks for the replies- again though, seems to be such a difficult one, as everyone I speak to has a different opinion! See, if it was condemmed and I had to then replace the boiler, this would be to a modern A-rated combi, with guarantee- in which case, surely I would then be looking to achieve a slightly higher asking price on the house anyway?? Not that this should be an issue as I believe it is fine, serviced approx 3 years ago and OK then. G_M my solicitor is of the same mind as you! Unfortunately my EA is not and I am concerned that she has communicated this to the buyer!
  • timmyt wrote: »
    the boiler as with the fabric of the building always has been and remains a matter of survey for the buyer. at the moment it is a sellers market as so few houses are coming on.

if the buyer is being petty over the cost of a service then they are not taking the deal seriously and they probably will n ot exchnage.

your lawyer is dead right but the estate agent is just worried for their commission by the sound of it.

but you will do whatever gets the deal through

Well, I am assuming as we are nearing exchange th ebuyer will have had to have paid out a fair amount on solicitors fees? And presumably mortgage arrangement fees? Or do you not pay these if the sale falls through? So I believe they're a genuine buyer. Unfortunately my EA can give no indictaion as to whether she considers the buyer will pull out if I don't arrange this, so I'm veering towards getting the darn thing, but a niggling voice keeps telling me it's unfair and if it falls through it falls through (had a lot of interest in property and was only for sale for one week). <sigh>. Just don't know... will seem ridiculous if the sale falls through becuase of this though!
  • G_M
    Forumite
    Your EA is just concerned about his commission. His viewpoint? Get the boiler serviced and get the house sold. The cost is not his problem so he doesn't care.
    if it was condemmed and I had to then replace the boiler, this would be to a modern A-rated combi, with guarantee- in which case, surely I would then be looking to achieve a slightly higher asking price
    No. The next buyer would just see this as part of the deal. In the unlikely event of it being condemned, you'd bear the cost.

You're right about the buyer's expenses. Did he have a survey done? Has he arranged a mortgage? Has his solicitor done work?

Will he really walk away from all that cost for the sake of a boiler service? No.
  • Thanks G_M you have confirmed what I was thinking. Wish I could speak to the buyer directly and come to an agreement- very frustrating communicating through someone else (ie my EA) as have to trust they will put things across well or that is where it could all go wrong! Will ask EA to advise he pays, as you suggested and see what happens! Will let you know! Thanks all :)
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    depends on how quickly you want to sell... do you want to lose a sale for less than £100 of gas engineers invoice ?

what sort of boiler is it and how old is it ?
  • G_M
    Forumite
    Drodough wrote: »
    Thanks G_M you have confirmed what I was thinking. Wish I could speak to the buyer directly and come to an agreement- very frustrating communicating through someone else (ie my EA) as have to trust they will put things across well or that is where it could all go wrong! Will ask EA to advise he pays, as you suggested and see what happens! Will let you know! Thanks all :)

Do you have contact details for the buyer? No reason you can't speak direct if you prefer.

Or get your solicitor to give your answer via his solicitor. Cut out the EA if you are not happy with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure