Can the same default be registered twice?

Can anyone help?

I received a small default for £240 back in 2008 over a dispute with a mail order company. The default remains on my credit file yet a further default dated in 2012 for the same debt has appeared on my credit file yet has been registered by a debt recovery company not the actual company the default originally occurred with. Are the debt recovery company allowed to register a further default on my credit file for the same debt????
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    No - they cannot. Contact them and point out the error of their ways. Explain you have not given consent for them to modify your credit file and you require the duplicate data to be removed within 28 days.

If this is not done, a formal complaint will be maid to the ICO about their failure to correct their transgression, and you also retain the right to pursue for damages if your request is not complied with in a timely manner.

Do be sure the items are one and the same - as 'small' defaults are easy to confuse.
  • Definitely the same debt as the amount and date the lender opened the account are identical. Is it a tactic used by recovery agents to contact them maybe??
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If the dispute is genuine, it should not be registered as a default until the dispute is resolved against you and a reasonable time has been given for settlement.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure