Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donating old TV to charity?

Hi All,

We've been lucky enough to be given a new tv by our friends and want to donate the old one (perfect working order, 28") to charity. I know many many charities don't accept electricial goods anymore due to the time/cost involved in sorting them out but does anyone know of a charity that could find a use for it? preferably in the midlands area

Thanks

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was told that it wasn't the time/cost of sorting them out, it was due to safety regulations. They would need to get them safety tested prior to selling them otherwise what would happen if the item blew up or something when the buyer plugged it in?

You could maybe sell it over ebay or ebid as buyer collects and then give the proceeeds less your selling fees to charity? Or actually I think you can sell items via the charity scheme on ebay and there are then no selling fees for you to pay.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you can't find a charity willing to take it then why not think of putting it on your local freecycle group, where I'm sure you'll get lots of offers from people in need of a new tv. www.freecycle.com

This is what I did with my old 28" tv recently & it went to an elderly lady who's own tv had given up the ghost after 15yrs.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • gemz20
    gemz20 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Or u could advertise it on gumtree website to help somebody out that needs a tv
  • if there is a hostel of any kind near you then they might want it?
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • I understand that the British Heart Foundation shops are able to accept donations of electrical goods - if you have one near you that could be a good option.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,153 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have 2 perfectly acceptable 15 inch TVs sitting here but no one will take them. I'm hoping that my local freecycle group will eventually allow my membership so I can put them on there.

I couldn't find any charity that was interested.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I understand that the British Heart Foundation shops are able to accept donations of electrical goods - if you have one near you that could be a good option.

Yup British Heart Foundation do

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I believe Oxfam also have a number of furniture warehouses around the country and they may be prepared to collect it. Check their website for further information.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's possible that if you have any local furniture recycling charities that they will be able to take it, rather than charity shops. A few shops have the facilities to deal with electricals, but most don't.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    there's a charity shop in wolverhampton (sorry i can't remember the street name) - it's for premature babies and last time I was in there (about 3yrs ago?) they were accepting electricals ....sorry that I can't be more specific on the name/location! I think it has a blue teddy on the sign!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure