How to replace UPVC window handles/locks

Hi All,

Can someone tell me how difficult/easy this would be?

I have one window that does not lock shut and another whose handle just broke off (leaving the spindle behind).

I think I need to buy two of these to fix these problems:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38799/Ironmongery/Window-Fittings/Window-Security/UPVC-Window-Handle-White-Spindle-40mm

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks,
Pete.

Comments

• ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    it varies. If your sort has a locking sytem built into the window (a multipoint, which has brass rollers that move) then yes that will be fine. If it is a more traditional sort where par of the handle comes down and sort of pull the window in, like the old fashioned wooden windows, and you have a wedge of plastic inside of the frame that the handle locks against then no you need a slightly different sort like these http://www.handlestore.com/product_list.php?cat_id=7

woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The handles are no problem - just two screws. The one that won't lock do you mean the key doesn't lock it or the handle doesn't work? I have used http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/windowsupplies in the past and if you ask they will give good advice
    Dave
  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    :smiley: Sorry Woody you posted while I was still typing
    Dave
  • teepoo
    teepoo Posts: 158
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks.

The windows have a brass rollers that acts as the locking mechanism.

The window that is stuck has restricted movement in its handle, consequently the rollers do not move at all.
  • ukwoody
    Are you SURE it is the handles then on the restricted one? If it is, then yes it's the sort from screwfix and it's a two min job.

DMXdave, it's alright I'll just slap you! LOL

woody
  • teepoo
    Forumite
    The brass rod is stuck - is there anyway I can loosen it?

Is it simply a case of using WD-40 to loosen the joints?
  • ukwoody
    teepoo, if the brass rod is stuck, it may well be the multipoint gearbox that is knackered.. However, yes try wd40 (though if you've got it silicon spray is FAR better). Spray down the brass bar, in and around thoses rollers. Spray a LITTLE into the spindle hole as well (too much and wd40 will remove the proper grease in there. If all that fails, it's likely you will need a new multipoint.

woody
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,824
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Interesting thread - the handle broke on one of our windows, I didn't realise you could replace them easily I'd assumed they were a custom item.

Picked up a handle from the DIY store this afternoon, easy to fit but I did have to saw 5mm off the spindle to get it to fit flat onto the frame - they'd only got handles with 15mm spindle.
  • teepoo
    Forumite
    Thanks Woody - I will pick up some silicon spray and have another go tonight.

By multipoint gearbox, do you mean something like this:
    https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/locks-gearing-163/espagnolette-upvc-window-locks-186/saracen-scope-upvc-window-lock-gearbox-cam-376.html

Or is it best to disassemble the window to find out which type it uses?

Thanks,
    Pete.
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    There are several different types made by different companies.There is a gearbox to which you attach arms for the roller catches.These arms come in different lengths and can be cut to length to suit varying sizes of sash.The whole thing is screwed to a channel in the framing.They wear out eventually and are not difficult to replace as long as you have the correct parts.The same principle is used on PVC doors but they are usually a bit more involved with hook locks etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure