National rail ignorant staff and bad service

Hi everyone

I have a complain about the bad service of national rail; I know that probably there's nothing I can do about this issue but I thought to give it a try as there might be someone experienced on here who can give me an advice.

As some of you might be aware, there's a job centre railway card that entitles me for a discounted ticket, now the problem is that is has been almost a month and everytime I go an buy the ticket, the staff there doesn't know anytihng about it and takes a lot of time to sell me a ticket (10-20 mins) which is very frustrating as I've got late for work sometime, I've missed a few trains.

I can understand that at the beginning they might have no idea but it's been a few months since this railcard came out so I think it is fair to say that they should know about it.

In addition to this, not only the staff that sell tickets but also the insectors near the barrier (the ones that check your ticket before you get on the train) sometime stop me and say they don't know what kind of ticket is this, even though the railway card is shown next to the ticket.

I tried to be patient but after what happend today I decided to put a claim against them for the distress they've caused in term of delays, bad service in addition to the fact, irrelevant to the claim, that their trains are always late, never a place to sit and sometime also overcroded.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do about this.

Thank you

Comments

• melbell
    melbell Posts: 488 Forumite
    Why should you get discounted rail travel from the job centre if you have a job?
  • Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't understand what this has to do with the question I've asked advice about?

but I'll answer your anyway. it's a work experience job and the job centre is sending me, in order to save travel costs, they've made me this rail travel card.
  • Cpu2007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have a complain about the bad service of national rail; I know that probably there's nothing I can do about this issue but I thought to give it a try as there might be someone experienced on here who can give me an advice.

As some of you might be aware, there's a job centre railway card that entitles me for a discounted ticket, now the problem is that is has been almost a month and everytime I go an buy the ticket, the staff there doesn't know anytihng about it and takes a lot of time to sell me a ticket (10-20 mins) which is very frustrating as I've got late for work sometime, I've missed a few trains.

I can understand that at the beginning they might have no idea but it's been a few months since this railcard came out so I think it is fair to say that they should know about it.

In addition to this, not only the staff that sell tickets but also the insectors near the barrier (the ones that check your ticket before you get on the train) sometime stop me and say they don't know what kind of ticket is this, even though the railway card is shown next to the ticket.

I tried to be patient but after what happend today I decided to put a claim against them for the distress they've caused in term of delays, bad service in addition to the fact, irrelevant to the claim, that their trains are always late, never a place to sit and sometime also overcroded.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do about this.

Thank you

For your information, with the exception of a few major stations (mainly the London terminals plus places such as Birminghan New Street) National Rail does not operate any stations. Stations are operated by the Train Operation Company serving the station (where more than one does it is normally the one with the most services).

It appears that some Job Centres are also unaware of this card (see the link below for a page from a rail forum). I have posted the link because it contains a page from a rail industry manual detailing how tickets using this rail card should be processed and I thought that might be useful to you.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56881

I do, however, have one question. This railcard can be issued to those who meet the eligibility criteria primarily to assist in them finding a job. I am curious therefore about your comment that failings at stations have led to you being "late for work". While I do know that the card can run for up to three months after an individual finds employment, would you be completely surprised that some staff may be confused that someone "going to work" is using a card primarily aimed at the unemployed?

With respect to your last paragraph, you have zero comeback for late trains (unless delay-repay is engaged - normally over an hour delay), crowding or inability to get a seat. See that National Railway Conditions of Carriage which define the agreement between yourself and the TOCs.

I hope this is helpful, particular post 5 of the link.
  • Cpu2007
    Thank you for the link you've posted. I'm aware of that topic, which I checked a while back and if I'm not wrong, something about the railway card was discussed on this forum too.

I understand that probably there's zero comeback regarding crowding and inability to get a seat and this is why I've classified that part of my statement as irrelevant; I only said it because of my frustration towards the money that are paid and yet the service is horrible.

Regarding my job status, as I mentioned in the post to the previous user (I believe you were replying to me and you probably missed it :) ), I got a job as work experience.

However I think it's none of their business knowing about my job status and while I'm showing them the tickets or buying them, I don't see how they can know whether I have a job or not. Regardless of all this, as you clearly mentioned, this and other railway cards are valid until the expiry date on them so whether I'm actually working or not shouldn't affect the validity of the railcard.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 December 2012 at 10:04PM
    It's very unlikely that the travel centre or the barrier examiners are National Rail (or Network Rail) staff. You need to identify which train operating company they work for, and complain there. Even in Network Rail managed stations, a TOC will usually have the contract to run the travel centre.

If you are in London you could print off the relevant page from TfL website. If in the Southern Railway area, this. Your Jobcentre Advisor should also have given you a copy of the ATOC Fact Sheet for the railcard when you received it.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Cpu2007
    It's in manchester where I travel to, today I had an argument with the examiner at the barrier who stopped me saying that this is not a return ticket; I was in rush as the train was getting full and I wanted to get a seat. The ticket was a return as it clearly states return on the bottom right of it, I've shown the ticket which shows from to manchester and not manchester to and because of this the examiner stopped me and asked me to wait there even though I had both parts with me.

The railway card discount I take with me has a page with it, all the condition at the back of it, which they read and then they sell me the ticket; the problem is that they take a lot of time, sometime more then 15 minutes and because of this I have missed my train a few times and also the job where I go to; hopefully I'll be getting the job as paid in a week and I don't want to give a bad impression by getting late because staff at the railway station can't do their job.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Which Manchester station? Network Rail (note - not National Rail) manage Piccadilly but not Victoria, Deansgate or Oxford Road. As someone else said, you need to address your complaint to the right company.

With regards to being stopped because you showed your ticket 'to' Manchester in the afternoon when you wanted to travel 'from' Manchester, I'm afraid you did show the wrong ticket so they were right to question it. Whilst the ticket said 'return' there was no guarantee that this was your own ticket, you could have found somebody else's discarded 'to' ticket from that morning and tried to pass it off as your own.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • For your information, with the exception of a few major stations (mainly the London terminals plus places such as Birminghan New Street) National Rail does not operate any stations. Stations are operated by the Train Operation Company serving the station (where more than one does it is normally the one with the most services).

To be pedantic, it is Network Rail that operate the larger mainline stations;)
  • Cpu2007
    I apologise about the confusion with the names yes it's network rail

Can a moderator please change the title to network rail or completaly remove the name of the company as I don't want my mistake to be used as downrate to the wrong company.

However, on what grounds can I make a complain to the company and how will they solve the issues if you think there are grounds for me to make a complain. I can also get recordings of staff taking ages to make a ticket as a proof but not sure what and what will not help/
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Up to you whether you want to complain. How they will solve the issue? I would suggest that you ask them to brief their staff better about the various different types of railcard, including the one you use.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport