Bump....................
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    I've tagged the info from the previous board sticky onto this one, and now made this one a sticky instead. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • BaldEagle
    BaldEagle Posts: 208 Forumite
    I didn't realise you could open a Cashminder account over the phone. Handy to know.

Do you have to post them proof of identity or drop into a local branch?
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    BaldEagle wrote: »
    I didn't realise you could open a Cashminder account over the phone. Handy to know.

Do you have to post them proof of identity or drop into a local branch?

Some peeps do and some don`t. When I opened mine it was confirmed there and then on the phone, and I did not need to send anything, however when I wanted to add my wife to the account we had to send of proof of identity, why I don`t know:o
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • andyf1980
    andyf1980 Posts: 836
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Strange isn't it. When I opened my Cashminder I took my documents in to the branch. I figured that although it was a trek it was worth doing for the peace of mind of knowing they had received them.

When I then opened a savings account a couple of months later they asked for the documents again as the savings account was on a different system :mad:
  • Hello everyone,

Would really appreciate some advice...It's looking like I will have to go bankrupt rather than an IVA in the next month or two and I'm trying to plan as much as possible in advance to minimise effect on money during the period that accounts are frozen etc.

I understand I need to open a new basic account and the 2 are co-op and Barclays but:

I owe money to Smile
    and
    I owe money to Barclaycard

Does anyone have any experience of this? Will co-op definitely not give me an account as that would be the best option (online banking and local branch)? If I went into branch to apply on the day of the BR would they be able to tell me there and then "no" or could they potentially accept then find it closed shortly after?

As another option could I contact my current bank (Metrobank with no debts/overdraft) on the day and ask whether they intend to close it? Would/could they answer that soon?

Failing that, will Barclays offer me an account even with Barclaycard debt as it seems from some posts that they might do?

Otherwise I guess the only option is one of those pay-monthly "guaranteed" accounts? :-( As if there isn't enough stress/stigma from having to go through this!?!

Thank you,
    FandF
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi FandF, as I have said on the 'other' thread you can open a Barclay's Basic account after you have gone BR as Coop will not let you open a cashminder account.

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • Thankyou! I have opened a bank acc with co-op informing them of my imminent bankrupcy. Every thing went well. Deep breath before it begins.......
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thankyou! I have opened a bank acc with co-op informing them of my imminent bankrupcy. Every thing went well. Deep breath before it begins.......

Hi WhiteRoses and Welcome, Hope all goes well and do start a new thread on the main board to let us know how you got on.

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • AlexMetz
    AlexMetz Posts: 134 Forumite
    Hi,

I am bankrupt and I have found it very hard to open a new bank account. I openend a savings account with natwest and I went into to see a advisro and I asked do you have any bank accounts that I can open while im bankrupt. They told me that they had a bank account called First Reserve - this is a savings account but you do get a visa debit card with it. The only problem is that you cannot use the account for DD or SO but if you open a savings account along side the First Reserve then you can use the savings account for DD and SO.
    2015 wins: Wasps vs Harlequins Rugby Tickets, Walk Among The Tombstone DVD, Hobgoblin 'Wych Brew are You' t-shirt, Leicester Tigers vs Gloucester Rugby tickets, Vodafone London Fashion Weekend Silver Tickets
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback