Cleaning greasy wooden kitchen cupboard doors?

I am moving house soon as the kitchen at the new place looks fine but the doors are caked in grease. The doors are oak. Can anyone suggest what I can use to clean them without damaging them. I have done a google search and can only find recommendations of products available in the US.

I was thinking about trying sugar soap? Does anyone have any experience of cleaning wooden kitchen cupboard doors that can help me.

Cheers

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Sugar soap will certainly shift grease as will caustic soda. The risk is damaging any varnish or surface finish
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • minnie123
    minnie123 Posts: 2,133
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can anyone recommend anything that won't damage the varnish?
  • maggie111
    maggie111 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    I have always been lucky with Fairy Power Spray. I have certainly used it on cupboards, dishes, hob, blinking everything I love it so much. It is remarkable at getting rid of grease (makes cleaning the chip pan a relative doddle.)

I would not spray it on and leave it to soak. If they are as bad as they sound I would buy a few rolls of kitchen roll (sorry to all the eco people out there but it's a lot easier with grease than a cloth) and try and wipe down the doors till you can get as much off as you can. If it's stuck fast, I would wipe over first with an old cloth soaked in very hot water to loosen it. Once I had done this and the doors were relatively clean apart from being oily to touch, I would spray some Fairy in a bucket, get a few cloths and start wiping and scrubbing. If you're worried about the varnish wipe over with a clean cloth and clean hot water to rinse.

Perhaps someone will come along and tell me I have it all wrong, and it will ruin the varnish after all - but I've never had problems with it.
    I love surprises!
  • This might do the job...

http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=5878

Or else one of the Stardrops products though I don`t know if they could damage the varnish.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    Sprays wont work , but a pan scrub ( the coiled type ) and Jif , work like magic :)
  • minnie123
    Forumite
    The grease is definately caked on the house is owned by my dad so I know it's past history and the cabinets have not been touched since the kitchen was fitted about 7-8yrs ago. We have already tried really hot soapy water and cillit bang and neither worked.

Someone suggested steam cleaning then - but then I read it may warp them so but worried about that.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    sugar soap is a good general cleaner for grease and oil etc.. as long as you dont leave it too long before cleaning off with a damp cloth there should be little or no risk to the varnish.

all the branded products never seem to perform perfectly IMHO.
    Get some gorm.
  • minnie123
    Forumite
    I think I am going to try the sugar soap but make sure I don't soak it and leave it on. As Cillit bang didn't work I don't think any similar spray will either. Hopefully they will come up ok.

Thanks for everyones input.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    you can buy new doors which are unfinished for quite low prices (wickes for one), then you can paint or varnish them to your taste, not sure if they are inthe state that i imagine they are, you are going to be left with nice looking doors...
  • minnie123
    Forumite
    I have thought about buying new doors but even at say £20 a door it's quite a big kitchen and I will have to spend £300 + so I want to try and avoid that.

The house is owned by my dad and we are just renting it cheap while we save for a deposit so the least money spent the better. That said we will probably be there for 2-3 years so we want it to be nice to live in. I might try the sugar soap because it's cheap and if it does ruin the doors then look at replacing them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure