Replacing Bathroom Pullcord Switch - Wiring help!

Can anyone confirm that what I've done in trying to replace the pull switch in my bathroom is Ok?

The pull switch in the bathroom had started to only sometimes work, so I bought a replacement 1/2 way switch from B&Q.

When I took the cover off the old switch (after flicking the stopper for the lights circuit first of course) there were three wires.
  • A green and yellow wire going to a point on the rim of the ceiling mount fixture of the switch
  • A red wire screwed in to a point marked "COM"
  • A black wire (with a red sleeve) screwed to "L1"
  • There was also an L2 with nothing screwed into it
The instructions for the new light stated for a 1 way switch with 3 wires:
  • one wire should go to a simalar point near the rim of the fitting (which I attached the green and yellow to, as it was before),
  • one wire to COM (which I attached the red one to, as it was before), and
  • one wire to L2 (which I attached the black with red sleeve to).
  • I left L1 empty - as per the diagram
It all seems to work fine, but I was just wondering if I should have it attached to L1 as it previously was, if I should follow the manufacturers instructions, or if in deed there is any difference between the two?

If there is a difference, what is it, and do I need to change anything?

Additionally the diagram showed the earth and L2 wires coming through one gap (from the ceiling through the top of the ceiling mount fitting) and the COM wire coming through another gap on its own.

Due to the short lengths of wire available to work with (out of the ceiling) I had to feed the earth and COM wire through the same gap (in the ceiling mount fitting), and the L2 through the other on it's own. I'm assuming this is Ok (as the wiring runs all through the house next to all the other wires)?

Any advice to put my mind at rest is greatley appreciated :)

Comments

• madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    With a pull cord as long as one cabe is connected to COM and the other is connected L1 or L2 and and the earth cable does not go into any of these terminals it going to work
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would always follow the manufacturers instructions, and it sounds to me like you've done it right (although note I'm a DIYer not an electrician)
  • madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    I am an electrician and you can connect COM and L1 or COM and L2 in a pullcord it does not make and difference it does the same job on/off/on/off but it makes a difference in switches because you will connect the switch upside down.
  • Thanks for the replies. My mind is now at ease :)

Just a side thought - Under what circumstances would you need a two way switch (using both L1 and L2)? Why would you have 4 wires?
  • As mentioned already, you don't need to worry, either L1 or L2 is fine as the switch is simply a "toggle". If you wired a wall switch up the wrong way the only thing would be the up/down on/off would be reversed (simply turn the switch 180 degrees to fix).

The two way switch is for landing light situations where two switches control the same light. In olden days people often had a pull cord above the bed so they could switch the bedroom light out without getting out of the bed.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    As a retired electrician all my bedrooms have two way circuits, which include a pull switch over the bed. Not so much of the olden days. Actually, now I think of it, I built the house in 1977, so I suppose that to some people it was the olden days.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but if someone could help I`d appreciate it.

The old bathroom pullcord switch is a one way 5amp with an earth wire and two reds.
    I`ve just bought a 6amp TWO WAY with earth,L1,L2 and com.

How do I wire it up please or do I need a one way?
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Connect one red to COM and the other red to either L1 or L2 and it will work fine. The answer was already on post 4 and others.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    27col
    I did read post4 but it was the "one way","two way" switch that confused me.
  • jonesjw
    jonesjw Posts: 201 Forumite
    My pull switch worked fine after I unscrewed the top & applied WD40 to the mechanism.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure