PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric remnants?

Comments

• I use Croft Mill, and yes, I have had some surprises when my order's arrived! They will take unwanted fabric back, though. Be careful of the remnant packs - I've had a couple of good pieces, but some are just grim.

An online site I use has pictures of the fabrics, and they're even cheaper than Croft Mill. It's www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk

There's fabrics there from 99p.
  • polkadot
    polkadot Posts: 1,867
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can I dredge up this old thread (pun?) Ive been referred to Deptford market and wondered if anyone else has experience of it. Why is fabric so hard to find in London?
  • polkadot
    Forumite
    lazy_daisy wrote: »
    I may have to take the plunge with their dress fabrics but it's difficult when you can't see them.
    Thanks wendym, will look for voyage.
    xxx

I just tried to get a catalogue and discovered that the mail order service has closed down:( I was so looking forward to it:(
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ikea

Dumlemn Mills

Cath Kidson (discount store) in Bicester Village.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi polkadot! :hello:

One of my former colleagues makes (or made - this was several years ago) all her own clothes, and always bought her fabric from Deptford market. At that time she said there were, I think, two stalls selling all their fabrics at £1 per yard and one where it was all £2 per yard. I'd bet it would be well worth going to have a look although the prices have probably gone up.

There's also a good shop in Lewisham High Street called "Rolls 'n' Rems" which is also very good value.

I know that quite a number of people on here who sew, order fabric and patterns from the US or Canada. There's a thread called "Does anyone sew their own clothes?" (sorry, I can't do links!) which you would enjoy.

HTH!

ivyleaf.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Here it is - Does anyone sew their own clothes? ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • polkadot
    Forumite
    Thanks Ivyleaf

Ive been to rolls and reems 3 times and am now trying to stay away from there. Each time Ive been in they have made it very clear that my child and his buggy are in the way. To me, sewing should be fun and happy and when I cant get in to have a good look or am made to feel uncomfortable it sort of taints the project. I went in one saturday (so I could leave LO at home). I waited 20 minutes because I wanted to look at a fabric that was too high for me to reach. I never got to look at at as no one seemed to have the time to help. When I jokingly said it would likely be easier to pay a babysitter and come back in the week I was told it was a very good idea.:mad:
    I think I'll try deptford market anyway.
  • Please can someone tell me what is a 'fat quarter'? It is a term on fabrics-n-stuff, but I can't find an explanation?!?

Thanks in advance,

FE
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    It's basically a quarter of a yard of fabric. But instead of just cutting 9 inches across the width, a whole yard is cut off then the piece cut into four quarters, hence *fat quarter*. So you get a sort of square rather than a thin strip. They are used a lot by quilters.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Old_Meanie
    Old_Meanie Posts: 84 Forumite
    Whereabouts in London are you Lizeena? I have been to Walthamstow which is very good and cheap and lots of lovely bright ethnic fabrics, there is a post from Claire on sew your own clothes which mentions a rolls and rems in North London I have also been there and they are good but as mentioned above you are expected to rummage. There is also a fabric shop in Station Road Edgeware which is very good and also a fabric shop in North Finchley on the left hand side at the top. I have bought fabric from Deptford market very good and also East Street Market Elephant and Castle I dont know whether the stall is still there. What about Commercial Road I think you have to buy about 10 yards but it can work out very reasonable as it is wholesale. On ebay: Favourite Fabrics are excellent also a guy called Price Immaterial - limited range but good stock of jersey fabrics, cotton and satin. Organic are good but expensive there is Graces Fabrics - thats good just go. to Ebay shops and enter crafts - sewing - than fabrics and it brings up all the shops HTH and happy sewing. PS patterns can be bought very cheaply from The Mccall Pattern Company online they are often up to half price and with the weak dollar against the pound is worth paying the postage when you convert from dollars to pounds excellent service I have ordered patterns they arrive quite promptly. Simplicity and new look have sites but they are a bit more expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure