ESA and Dental Care!

2»

Comments

• mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    cit_k wrote: »
    Its odd how income based ESA gives free dental - but income based IB does not, unfortunate to as I have a load of dental work coming up..

Income based Incapacity would refer to IB with an IS top up, there are no means tested premiums on Incapacity. IS would entitle you to free healthcare.
  • spikeripley
    spikeripley Posts: 102 Forumite
    SaitenMar wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm finding this all so confusing!

I rang up the dentist and got an helpful assistant who explained that all I need to bring is prove that I'm receiving the benefit. As in a letter or other form of prove. She wasn't at all sure about a certificate of sorts and said that they simply need prove. That said I believe a form as to be signed at the time by me.

I suspect I'm worrying about all this more then I should be, and it's probably pretty simple.

Thanks for your help.

If your on Income Based ESA you dont need to supply any documents just tick the box saying so or they will when they ask you if you pay for your treatment you dont need to prove it at the time. If you get prescriptions from the docs free you due to ESA you will also get dental and eye tests.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    cit_k wrote: »
    Its odd how income based ESA gives free dental - but income based IB does not, unfortunate to as I have a load of dental work coming up..

It was the same with [the old]Incapacity Benefit & Income Support Based on Disability and Income Based JSA & Contribution Based JSA. All paid the same but IB and CB JSA are not means tested ergo any extra household income was supposed to pay for your dental care (and extra prescriptions and eye tests). You could get the above free if you passed a means test but IB and CB JSA don't automatically qualify you to free dental care etc.
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks all. I finally managed to get dentist to read her form properly and it does indeed say that Income-based ESA qualifies for free treatment. She hadnt read down far enough. Mind you, my own dentist receptionist reckoned that ALL ESA qualified for free treatment. If those in charge of the services dont understand what chance have we?!
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Broke_n_Broken
    Broke_n_Broken Posts: 195 Forumite
    Prescription charges-found a link http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/healthc...me-scheme.aspx

For ANYONE on a low income.
    Free prescriptions, help with travel costs, useful links etc
    HTH
    I wish I could fly, right up to the sky! But I can't...
    Famous Last Words: Bus?... What B....
    I reserve the right to edit my posts so you are wrong & I am right!
  • I went to my local dentist to have a cap put back on which dropped off, when asked if I was working I told the lady "No as I had just had a kidney transplant 6 week prior and was on benefits", I was given an appointment for the following week, she told me to bring any letter I may have to prove the benefits I am on, I took a letter down and she had a quick glance and confirmed that I was entitled to FREE dental treatment.:j
    Now 2 month later the dental body have come back to me and said i am not entitled to free treatment and they want me to pay up, :(
    Surley this is the problem of the dental practise as they said that i was entitled.......shouldn't they bear the cost ????
    Also I have a card which entitles me to free prescriptions does this not also entitle me to free dental ????
    So ANGRY cos i could of gone to my local dental hospital and had it done free of charge :mad:
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Many of the staff at dental practices do not understand the difference between income-related and contributary ESA. The claimant is supposed to know better and it is the claimant that is expected to pay up if they wrongly claimed free treatment.

I think there are different levels of help awarded due to low income, ranging from just free prescriptions. Again, it is the claimant that is expected to learn the rules and pay up if they claimed something to which they are not entitled.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know how you dug this up. The original post is 2 1/2 years old, legislation has probably changed dramatically since then. Makumgav, I suggest you start a new thread of your own.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Legislation re the free dental treatment has not changed at all.
    You only get it free if on an income related benefit and these are normally income support; Income related ESA (wrag/Support group) and Income based JSA. However if on WTC you may get a percentage of the fees paid or even all of it. Dependant on income level. And you may also get help if your income is low, but you have to apply for that via Form HC1 and you have to prove your income. Full help arrives with an HC2 card and partial help with an HC3. If you do not meet any of these terms then alas you have to pay up. There are other qualifications as well and those can be found by googling NHS dental charges.
  • McKneff wrote: »
    I don't know how you dug this up. The original post is 2 1/2 years old, legislation has probably changed dramatically since then. Makumgav, I suggest you start a new thread of your own.

Well if i knew how to, I might of done that !!!!:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport