PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Converting residential mortgage to Buy-to-Let

Please help!
My husband and I are emigrating, and want to let out our flat rather than sell in this market.

When calling our existing lender (Halifax) we were told that, as we had come off our fixed rate and were now on the variable, we'd need to convert to a Buy-to-Let rate and provided quotations.
I've also looked elsewhere for a better option (through a broker) - the best being with The Mortgage Works - but the fees that go along with this are astronomical...

I'm not just talking about the 2.5% arrangement fee, but the Valuation fee at £390, plus conveyancing fees (I've been quoted £499).

Is it just me, or are these fees ridiculous? I'd always thought a valuation was £150...
Are there other 'hidden' fees that I dont know about? What have other people paid?

Any advice anyone can give me would be amazing.

Thanks

Comments

• storn
    storn Posts: 13 Forumite
    Times have changed I am afraid, nowadays is far more expensive......On my residential mortgage I had to pay £380 and also there will be over £1000 added to mortgage and £180 arrangement fee. Therefore I am not surprised that want much more for a btl.
  • gingertips
    gingertips Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    its the way of the world...banks found a way to screw you over with additional fees that you used to consider part of the mortgage...the £499 is a joke - i would ask for written confirmation of who exactly is performing it & that you get a full copy of it...youre paying for it.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Lloyds, I notice, have a valuation fee of £700-odd quid and a full survey fee of £2,500! For our type of property, anyway
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • angrypirate
    angrypirate Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Thats before you start to talk of void periods, repairs, tenants who dont pay rent, useless estate agents etc etc.
  • It's a sad state of affairs when the lenders penalise us for low interest rates. Not getting enough from the interest so they charge us ridiculous fees where possible.

angrypirate, it's not an option to sell, as we'd lose a substantial amount of the capital we put in (our property being worth less than it was when we bought) so we're just going to have to risk the other things. Sounds like you've had a bad experience - my mum and best friends are landlords and have never experienced those things (well, except repairs but those would happen even if you were living there)
  • GuidoT
    GuidoT Posts: 198 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2011 at 4:44PM
    Lenders do not like to BTL much and those that do now charge large arrangement fees and high rates.

I had one lender who wanted to charge me £3K in arrangement fees (on a £140K mortgage) with a rubbish rate.

I remember 5 or so years ago when C&G did not differentiate between BTL and normal residential mortgages for the purpose of fees and rates (but they would only let you have one BTL), I still have that one on a SVR of I think 2.5%.
  • Brb
    Brb Posts: 472 Forumite
    Also ensure you have your tax position sorted before you go. Google non resident landlord. You may be able to get yourself exempt but has to be done before you emigrate/rent out property.

There are other expenses too. Gas safety check, epc etc. Ensure you get a good LA as a bad one could (worst case scenario) see you in prison.
    Inside this body lays one of a skinny woman
    but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

When I thank a post in a thread I've not posted in,
    it means that I agree with that post and have nothing further to add.
  • Brb wrote: »
    Also ensure you have your tax position sorted before you go. Google non resident landlord. You may be able to get yourself exempt but has to be done before you emigrate/rent out property.

There are other expenses too. Gas safety check, epc etc. Ensure you get a good LA as a bad one could (worst case scenario) see you in prison.

Thanks, we have taken all of these things into conideration. My mum, a landlord herself, will be looking after it, so saving us that issue which is good!

Have just called our existing lender again about changing our existing mortgage to consent to let - the rate isnt as good as BTLs elsewhere but they said I can extend the term to keep repayments down. No valuations, no conveyancing/legal fees. This may be the way we go... what a total mindfield! :mad:
  • Brb
    Brb Posts: 472 Forumite
    Don't lose sight of why you're doing it though :) fulfilling a long dreamt dream living in a far flung land ... ?
    Inside this body lays one of a skinny woman
    but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

When I thank a post in a thread I've not posted in,
    it means that I agree with that post and have nothing further to add.
  • I went to the Halifax and said I would be renting out my house after 7 years as a residential owner and they said I had to remortgage and the costs were over £1k for each offer they gave me plus it was 3 point above my present mortgage. It was said on a take it or leave it basis as I explained I would be paying more monies than I did on my present mortgage over and above the rent and insurance I would be taking out.
    Other lenders are not so good and I agree "The Mortgage Works" offer does seem to be the best on a remortgage but again your fees which could be added to the mortgage are very high.
    The banks borrow at a ridiculously small interest rate and then screw their clients espicially as the government own a huge share of the Halifax!!
    Anybody got any good ideas:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport