The Great 'Have you earned cash from homemade YouTube vids?' Hunt

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 12 February 2013 at 5:07PM in Techie Stuff
Great 'Have you earned cash from homemade YouTube vids?' Hunt

From make-up tutorials to cute clips of your kids, it's possible to earn cash uploading videos to YouTube. The site places ads next to the clips, and shares the revenue. We want MoneySavers who've succceeded to share tips on how to start and strategies to max the cash.

View all past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• hi,
    i made £500 from selling a clip of my cat entitled "Robocop versus the washing machine".

go to youtube and type it in, i can't put the link on here it won't let me.

i basically put it on youtube for a laugh so my friends could see my cat (Robocop) attacking the washing machine! i emailed it to everyone i knew and put it on facebook and left it.

the next month i checked it and it had like 100,000 views! i kept checking it every few days and the views were going up and up, and i was getting emails from "TV companies" claiming they wanted to use the clip!

i thought it was all spam and i ignored it, then i get a phonecall in work, some american woman from a london office, representing a japanese 'you've been framed - type show' wanted to buy the rights for 2 years to show it exclusively in Japan for £75! i thought it was a blag so starting messing with them asking for ridiculous prices (i had no idea what the clip was worth).

to cut a long story short, i asked for a grand, they then said £200 and then i haggled them upto £500 told them i wouldn't release the clip until i got the cheque - i wasn't giving any bank details to them - a few days later a cheque turned up for £500, i cashed it, and gave them the "rights"!

turns out they were legit! i then received requests from a BBC company who asked for £50 - i said no as they wouldn't negociate, then an american company who said they'd pay x amount, but the money never showed up and they never got the permission from me - not sure if they ever used the clip though.

the video now has over 7 million views, turns out it went "viral" and people all over the world have seen it and i only put it on for a laugh for a few mates to see! : )
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Pete Waterman (who wrote and owns 'Never Gonna Give You Up' - the Rick Astley song at the heart of the 'rickrolling' internet fashion) reckons that from the 150,000,000 views the song had, he got a paltry $16 in royalties from YouTube.

Reference: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10218302-93.html

Things might have changed, but I remember Peter Bazalgette (who developed a whole tranche of formats including Ready Steady Cook and Big Brother UK) also not having seen YouTube so much as a revenue stream as a really free hosting deal. If premium commercial content isn't drawing in the advertising revenue, the vast majority of UGC home vids won't do much either.

The one person I know who did make regular cash from YouTube did high-class product reviews for niche photographic components which linked back to an affiliate scheme with a low-cost supplier - he'd make £50/month or so.
  • ratman, you could of made more off that video than £500 with ads alone.

I dont use youtube much, when i do use it to monetise I will have a video directing to an squeeze page / opt-in.

youtube have changed there algo now so that viewers have to stay watching the video for a certain period before its counted as a high ranking view. you can still manipulate the system but its getting more and more expensive, gone are the days of the mobile views glitch.

at the end of the day when it comes to adsence your 99% of the time best off promoting something niche related rather than use it. (unless your involved in clickfraud, but i guess thats not alowed to be discussed here).
  • jax1305
    jax1305 Posts: 47 Forumite
    my son uploads xbox gameplays and has loads of views/subs .... but can't earn any money cos he's under 18 and you need to be over 18 to use adsense. we don't have a website to be able to set up an adsense account linked to it - so youtube put the ads on his vids and they make money but he doesn't. But if he'd been dishonest and said he was over 18 there'd be no problem earning money
  • jax1305 wrote: »
    my son uploads xbox gameplays and has loads of views/subs .... but can't earn any money cos he's under 18 and you need to be over 18 to use adsense. we don't have a website to be able to set up an adsense account linked to it - so youtube put the ads on his vids and they make money but he doesn't. But if he'd been dishonest and said he was over 18 there'd be no problem earning money

He should be able to turn the ads off under his settings.
  • Useful thread re making money from adsense on youtube videos over in Up Your Income £20 per day and rising from Youtube
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Hoseman
    Hoseman Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I made some money but not a lot.... around £150. I basically put a video up with an affiliate link and some people clicked on it and bought the product.

YouTube certainly offers a lot of opportunities in my opinion. If you have a niche then you can reach out to a wide audience. Also videos can make the first page of Google more easily spending an arm and a leg on SEO

There is money to be made in a number of ways imo but the best way is to build an audience and market to them.
  • jax1305 wrote: »

Parents can set up an adsence account and link it to their child's you tube channel. This is what we have done for our daughter - check out her you tube channel - meganissleeping. She has only been going two weeks but has made a few pounds already. She hopes to grow the brand over the next year or so.

There is certainly money to be made out of you tube. Top vloggers such as jacks gap and bertiebertg have an estimated income between £50,000 and £500,000.

One young you tuber has already made enough money to buy a london pad outright.......
  • I've made a bit from YouTube - I make a huge chocolate bar (HUGE) and post a video of how I did it online. Currently we're at two, the giant KitKat Chunky and the giant Toffee Crisp.

The KitKat used commercial music so I don't make any cash from that one (shame as it hit 280,000 views recently) and have only made about £25 from adsense on the toffee crisp and a couple of other videos I put up there.

The real money came from a Japanese TV show, I sold them the rights to the KitKat video for one showing and one repeat for £300!

Here's my channel if you want to see what they bought: http://www.youtube.com/user/roboticpink
  • I decided to try and make a little money from youtube earlier this year. Someone I know said that they had become a Youtube Partner which prompted me to grill him about what this was.

I decided to create a channel based on what I know and enjoy doing - which is teaching media production and animation.

My channel is now steadily growing and although I don't think I'll be able to give up the day job I've gone from earning nothing to a steady £15 a month so far. My 1st target is to be earning £60 a month so that I can get a payout each month.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in what I've set up then you can look at my channel here - http://www.youtube.com/user/OnlineMediaTutor?feature=mhee

You should be able to see that I try to make use of playlists and annotations whenever possible to get the most out of my audience.
    Wins: Sept - Where's Wally T-Shirt!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport