Feedback for Cex

Former_MSE_Becca
Former_MSE_Becca Posts: 250 Forumite
edited 30 October 2012 at 5:51PM in Boost your income
articlealert2_banner.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for
Cex (Link)

If you've traded in games, books, DVDs or CDs using Cex, please give us your feedback.

To find out about other ways to make money in a hurry, read the main
Boost Your Income guide

Thanks for your help,
MSE Becca

Comments

• The stores generally smell and the staff can be quite rude, however the prices are generally good on trade ins. The stores seem to run out of cash within a few hours each week which means you will generally only be able to tradein for other stock.

Their website is horrid and the service through it is even worse - avoid at all costs and stick to the stores.
    Total Debt Feb 2012 [STRIKE]£12,153[/STRIKE] 10674 16.5% Paid

Halifax Credit Card £4448.6. Loan 1 £3000. Loan 2 £2696.13.

Aiming to be debt free by 31/12/2013.
  • Well, a little while ago I wanted to trade in a slim ps2 games console. In excellent condition, was brought from new only 5-6 years ago and had not been heavily used.

Checked out the trade-in prices online, phoned up and confirmed the details, etc, as I was making a special trip to the store to trade it in.

However, upon opening the box and glancing over the console, the sales assistant said he was refusing the trade-in because of the mechanism of the disk drive and it's potential to go wrong.
    I pointed out that this was the newer model slim ps2, not the older one, and queried why nobody had mentioned this to me as a potential problem before they agreed to the trade-in. Other staff were accepting other ps2's for trade-in, I witnessed, without queries.
    Even today, having researched the issue and spoken to knowledgeable friends (1 of whom worked for a well known console manufacturer) I haven't come across anybody with the faintest familiarity with this issue.

Anyway they refused to test the console at all - I even said I was happy to leave it with them for a period of time to check over, etc, but they wouldn't entertain that idea.

Perhaps I got a member of staff on a bad day or something, but I was not remotely impressed by their customer service skills. I haven't been back since and have no desire to give them my business at all.
  • Had quite a good experience on their website - sold 15 DVDs for almost £15.00 of store credit. The site was easy to use, and it is freepost, so won't cost me anything to send. The prices they quoted for most of the items were much higher than for Music Magpie, too. The voucher will make a nice little stocking filler for my son! :T
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Don't know how they make money, they give more cash for ipods, iphones and some newly released games then you can buy them for in the shops, doesn't make sense
  • havyn12
    havyn12 Posts: 16 Forumite
    We've used the one in Basingstoke, last year traded in a kindle touch, got about £70 in trade-in for it, so used it towards a second hand ipad. Some of their best prices for trade-in were for Nintendo DS games, the cheapest were DVDs.
  • gunjin
    gunjin Posts: 63
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I know CEX does not have the best rep but I have been using several of their London branches since they first started and think they are generally very good. The staff at my nearest branch (sheps bush) are always polite and friendly but I guess i may be lucky in this respect!
  • I had lots of DVDs to sell including some boxsets, I entered them into CEX online and got a fair price so packaged them up and sent them off.
    After a few days I checked online to see the status of my order and it said goods being checked. It said this for 5 days! I emailed them but after 2 days never got a response so I emailed them again. Upon emailing them a second time I received an email saying that the order had been completed and I had been paid. Great I thought!
    When I checked they had sent back quite a few DVDs which included all the boxsets which were the higher value items. When I queried this they said that they were damaged/scratched. When I got these items back I checked and none of them were damaged or scratched!! They were like NEW!!
    I emailed them again but the response I received back might as well have been written by a 2 year old.
    In short it seems as though they lure you in with great prices to send you all your DVDs then send half of them back and just pay out on the cheap ones!!
    Would never use again!!
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I have traded in dozens of DVDs and some games in-store with no hassle. They are thorough in their checking and because I had about 25 it took a while. They paid about the same as on-line sites like https://www.webuybooks.co.uk and zapper. I chose vouchers and I use these to buy more second hand DVDs, watch them and trade them in again. I think this is a better way to watch them than Netflix or LoveFilm because I can make money on it sometimes. I always try them on eBay first however, as you can get more if they will sell there.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Buying from then is good until something goes wrong, as the web customer services are rubbish. Expect to get a reply within 5 days if at all. I had a couple items not arrive in a recent order, had no luck contacting customer services so logged a paypal claim. Paypal found in my favour as the customer services couldn't even be bothered to fight the claim.
  • Had my first experience dealing with them today, took a pile of DVDs in to the Kingston branch. Got 40 pence for some of the boxsets but they were ones that Music Magpie hadn't wanted, the rest were pretty much on-par for what MM had offered, rather than go to the hassle of posting stuff of it seemed easier to take it all in-branch to Cex.

Plenty of staff so there was no queue, one or two of the DVDs had rare barcodes but the staff member just consulted a colleague who put it through, overall it was a positive experience, came out with just over £17 in cash, will definitely be going back to Cex next time I clear out my DVDs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure