Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Comments

• Hi.

I thought I share my experience.

I had been with Sky for 9 years, most recently with the following package:
    - Entertainment Extra
    - ESPN
    - HD, with Sky+ HD box
    - Unlimited Telephone

I paid 44.50 (including 12.00 for ESPN), plus 5.00 for unlimited telephone.

As we moved into an area which has more competition - Virgin, BT Fibre etc - I wanted to make sure I get the best deal and save some money.

I was comparing to Virgin which offers their maximum XL TV (which includes ESPN), and HD, for 35.50 per month. Plus 60 cash back making it 30.00 per month.

So I called Sky to say I am moving where Virgin is, and I am looking to save money.
    - Sky: "Sky is always cheaper than Virgin, because they own all the TV channels"
    - Me: "Not true, Virgin is 35.50 which is 10.00 cheaper. Plus I get cash back."
    - Sky: "OK I give you ESPN for free, making a saving of 12.00, bringing it down to 32.50."
    - Me: "Not good enough as Virgin is cheaper with cash back."
    - Sky "I could offer discounts on broadband, and telephone"
    - Me: "Not interested, already signed with BT for 18 months"
    - Sky "Sorry, I thought I could do more after 9 years of custom"
    - Me "I will cancel".

So I wanted to see whether they make a better offer as reported in this forum. The result ?
    - Sky sent a survey asking why i left, and I told them the truth that I it is too expensive.
    - Then Sky called my mobile 2 weeks after cancelling
    -- Sky: "Why did you leave Sky ? Is there anything we could have done to keep you ?"
    -- Me: "It is too expensive, I moved into an area with Virgin and they are cheaper".
    -- Sky "Did we offer anything ?"
    -- Me "Yes, ESPN for free, but it was still more expensive"
    -- Sky "OK. yes, there are really good offers around at the moment"

So then 2 weeks later, no further calls or letters, and we were cut off a week ago.

I have now signed on with Virgin, this will be installed 9 June. The deal I got with Virgin is:
    - TV XL Package + Tivo, for 35.50
    - less 62 cash back from topcashback
    - less 20 pounds off installation (online ordering ... not promoted on the site !)
    - I also ordered the 1TB Tivo box and paid upfront, but they sent an email that I will get it for free, saving 49.95

Not bad !

Conclusion for me ?

If you want to save money, ask for it, then be ready to leave and go through with it. There are better deals out there. And if I don't like Virgin, I can go back to Sky as a new customer with great offers in a year !

Hope this helps.
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    DJCeeJay wrote: »
    Hi.

I thought I share my experience.

I had been with Sky for 9 years, most recently with the following package:
    - Entertainment Extra
    - ESPN
    - HD, with Sky+ HD box
    - Unlimited Telephone

I paid 44.50 (including 12.00 for ESPN), plus 5.00 for unlimited telephone.

As we moved into an area which has more competition - Virgin, BT Fibre etc - I wanted to make sure I get the best deal and save some money.

I was comparing to Virgin which offers their maximum XL TV (which includes ESPN), and HD, for 35.50 per month. Plus 60 cash back making it 30.00 per month.

So I called Sky to say I am moving where Virgin is, and I am looking to save money.
    - Sky: "Sky is always cheaper than Virgin, because they own all the TV channels"
    - Me: "Not true, Virgin is 35.50 which is 10.00 cheaper. Plus I get cash back."
    - Sky: "OK I give you ESPN for free, making a saving of 12.00, bringing it down to 32.50."
    - Me: "Not good enough as Virgin is cheaper with cash back."
    - Sky "I could offer discounts on broadband, and telephone"
    - Me: "Not interested, already signed with BT for 18 months"
    - Sky "Sorry, I thought I could do more after 9 years of custom"
    - Me "I will cancel".

So I wanted to see whether they make a better offer as reported in this forum. The result ?
    - Sky sent a survey asking why i left, and I told them the truth that I it is too expensive.
    - Then Sky called my mobile 2 weeks after cancelling
    -- Sky: "Why did you leave Sky ? Is there anything we could have done to keep you ?"
    -- Me: "It is too expensive, I moved into an area with Virgin and they are cheaper".
    -- Sky "Did we offer anything ?"
    -- Me "Yes, ESPN for free, but it was still more expensive"
    -- Sky "OK. yes, there are really good offers around at the moment"

So then 2 weeks later, no further calls or letters, and we were cut off a week ago.

I have now signed on with Virgin, this will be installed 9 June. The deal I got with Virgin is:
    - TV XL Package + Tivo, for 35.50
    - less 62 cash back from topcashback
    - less 20 pounds off installation (online ordering ... not promoted on the site !)
    - I also ordered the 1TB Tivo box and paid upfront, but they sent an email that I will get it for free, saving 49.95

Not bad !

Conclusion for me ?

If you want to save money, ask for it, then be ready to leave and go through with it. There are better deals out there. And if I don't like Virgin, I can go back to Sky as a new customer with great offers in a year !

Hope this helps.

I assume that the prices that virgin have given you are the 6 months half price deal. This is something to be aware of (the same with sky's new customer offers). Remember that these prices do go up and you will be tied into a contract - 18 months for virgin, 12 months for sky.

I always recommend that after purchase (no matter the provider) you call up and ask the price you will pay month-by-month and note this down for the entire contract period. The reason for this is that during the minimum term you pretty much have no come-back and must pay what they ask.

When is your installation date? Why not try calling sky and tell them your Virgin intalation date and ask them again what they can do - It may be nothing, but it might be something.

In my new job I am doing some consultancy work for an industry publication. It is focusing on price reductions at the start of minimum terms. All I will say is 'be aware. Companies are very good at making a price sound like 'the' price and it turns out to be an offer that quickly disappears.

If it is entertainment and ESPN you are after why not look at BT vision? If you have an existing contract with BT you may get a great deal.

Remember that you have a 30 day cooling off period, and it is very easy to change your mind if you are firm.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • Appreciate your thoughts, skyinsinder, but I am happy with the choice I made.
    skyinsider wrote: »
    I assume that the prices that virgin have given you are the 6 months half price deal. This is something to be aware of (the same with sky's new customer offers). Remember that these prices do go up and you will be tied into a contract - 18 months for virgin, 12 months for sky.

The 35.50 per month is the monthly price, not just for 6 months half price. As I did not need a bundle with phone or broadband, I did not qualify for half price offer. Also, the contract is only 12 months with Virgin with TV only, it is 18 months if you take a bundle.
    When is your installation date? Why not try calling sky and tell them your Virgin intalation date and ask them again what they can do - It may be nothing, but it might be something.

I am happy with the deal I got. Sky had ample chances to better the offer. They might have tempted me to stay with their ominous 50% off deal but it was not forthcoming.
    If it is entertainment and ESPN you are after why not look at BT vision? If you have an existing contract with BT you may get a great deal.

Remember that you have a 30 day cooling off period, and it is very easy to change your mind if you are firm.

I know I have got 30 days trial period, so if I don't like it I can go back to Freeview. I just want to give Sky a rest, as they just kept increasing prices, but did not reward 9 years loyalty - which they admitted themselves ! ("I thought we could do more for you after 9 years"). And it is galling to read super low offers plus 200 cash back or so if you sign on as a new customer.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not really haggling but I can get the following for £29.50 per month as a new customer:

Sky Entertainment
    Sky Sports
    Sky Movies
    ESPN
    HD Pack
    Sky+ HD Box

:D

I could upgrade Entertainment to Entertainment Extra (and get Sky 3D but I don't have a 3D TV), which'd make it £32 per month, but I need to see if Eurosport is worth it or not!
  • southcoast_2
    southcoast_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Phoned Sky to say wanted to cancel sky sports as football season over
    Offered 2 months £10 off as have to give 1 month notice to cancel Sports
    Rejected offer,was then offered £7.95 off for 6 months which i accepted
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Lots of missed calls from SKY retentions on my land line. Just need to be in when they call.

9 days to the cut off date.
  • grj84
    grj84 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Just recently haggled, said I was thinking of leaving to go to virgin as they had a deal for free multi room equivalent. Ended up getting HD and multi room for £3 less than what I was paying for 12 months. Bargain!
  • nephilim
    nephilim Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Phoned up sky as I wanted to upgrade online but it wouldn't let me...

Phoned up and got the following

Free Multiroom for 12 months
    £6 Sky HD for 12 months
    2x Free Sky HD box (and installation in front room and bedroom)
    Discounted Sky Movies (£3 a month for them instead of the usual cost)
    Discounted Entertainment extra package (£8 a month for full entertainment bundle)
    Free Unlimited Telephone for 12 months
    Half price Unlimited Internet for 12 months.
    Plus £75 M&S vouchers also

Total cost normally would be £121 a month
    Current cost (for 12 months) is now £35 a month.

Haggling with the right people = winning
    • Total Debt :£190,000 - Mortgage
    • Owed: £9000 Virgin Atlantic American Express
    • Owed: £9000 Tesco Clubcard Mastercard
    • Owed: £5500 Barclaycard Platinum
    • Owed: £1800 - Car Payments
    • Debt Free Date : May 2050
  • minjara
    minjara Posts: 81 Forumite
    Not the biggest subscription in the world but we were paying £75.75pm for

Sky tv Entertainment Extra
    Unlimited BB
    Phone
    Sport and HD

Phoned up as needed to cancel Sport and HD anyway and asked to go through everything else as was thinking of just cancelling tv and going back to freeview.

Went through what we were paying and after changes and discount from everything, getting tv, BB and phone for £28.50pm
    Will put sport back on eventually which will take it to 48.50 but I'm happy at the saving.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    KTF wrote: »
    Lots of missed calls from SKY retentions on my land line. Just need to be in when they call.

9 days to the cut off date.
    Finally spoke to SKY. They couldn't do the 12 months half price offer on the TV and the HD this time only the TV which was fine with me as we normally only watch the BBC HD, etc. anyway which we can still see with no subscription.

So another 12 months of any non-HD package at 12 months on a 30 day rolling contract. I already have the broadband 12 months half price and line rental paid up front so they couldnt offer me any more deals on that and I have no interest in multiroom, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure