divan or bedstead?

i need to buy a double bed soon and havent made my mind up whether to buy a divan type or bedstead (prefer wood over metal)

as i see it a divan is uglier and doesnt have a headboard, altho in the past my single divan beds have been comfortable. i dont have any back issues but prefer a firm mattress, dont like to sink into it.

so if anyone knows the pros / cons of each please let me know

Comments

• TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    I have a wooden divan style bed frame with drawers underneath. Best of both worlds IMO, but I (foolishly) bought it from Argos and the build quality is poor. I have been able to reinforce the frame and make it sturdier, but would suggest looking for a similar deal elsewhere...?

You can get whatever mattress you want for either, don't be sucked into an 'all-in-one' deal otherwise you may not get what you want.
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • i quite like the ikea malm bed but what i've been told is they do european sizes and dont want to have to go there agian just for bed sheets etc.

also with bedstead you can put stuff under the bed, with a divan you pay extra for the drawers. also divan doesnt look good without a valance sheet?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Divans are designed to have a valence to hide the base, although some people use them without one. You do have to pay extra for storage, but then you don't get anything for free as they cost more to manufacture. As for the headboards, you can choose what you want, as all UK headboards should come with standard fittings. Divans often have a choice of storage layouts, and a choice of platform top or sprung. It is also cheaper to go for a divan base (unless you go for a cheap bedstead).

I actually have a pine bed which does have space underneath as you say. You can also get drawers on rollers to go under the beds. One down side to bedsteads is that you are limited to the type of mattress you can use with them.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It doesn't look very comfy to me, but I love my divan though. It has got a headboard, a moidern one, it's really nice.
    And the mattress is a miracoil one, very comfy.
    I'd go for a divan every day over a bedstead, no fluff can hide under it ;)
  • Thanks well i bought the Hopen double (140cm x 200 mattress) bed from ikea and I really like it, although I found it was too big for my smaller bedroom. So I'm still looking for a bed which is slightly smaller. Most likely will get a divan so then I have one of each, at least the divan will be uk size and wont have a frame around it making it bigger. I decided the ikea malm bed was just too low for me.
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    We have a king sized divan in our master bedroom with four huge drawers and a bedstead in our guest bedroom, I'd never have a bedstead again, in fact I'd be happy to swap the bedstead for a divan base. I had to layer the bedstead base (slatted) with thick cardboard, so it wouldn't damage the pocket sprung mattress we have bought separately for it. We had to buy 4 plastic boxes with rollers on to store things under the bedstead, they get dusty, untidy, jam where the centre support holds the bed, and I constantly bang my knee on the base end of the bedstead!

The divan is tidy, neat, no dust in the drawers, only issue is that to properly open the two nearest the headboard we have to move the bed about a foot to clear the bedside tables, but the drawers are huge, so it's not much of an issue. However you can get all manner of drawer configs, depending on your room layout. A quality sprung edge divan base, will also increase the comfort and longevity of your mattress too.

Out divan and mattress came from Furniture Village, it was expensive, but is the best bed we've ever had, and we never skimp on beds, bad backs are not worth saving money for!

I got a gorgeous headboard from another company too.

For us, bedsteads are all style and no substance ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure