Can you claim PPI if person deceased?

My Father died in 2005 and my Mother in 2011.

I know my Father had rolling loans with Barclays over approx 15 years prior to his death, he would get a loan almost get to the end and then top it up.
He also had a Barclaycard which was paid by payment protection during the time he was unable to make payments.

My question is am I able to put in a claim for the years he had the barclayloan? (no paperwork as I destroyed it all approx one year after his death but Barclays may have something somewhere.

My Mother has no debts (never had a loan or credit card in her life) therefore no claims required on her part.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Rocket1971 wrote: »
    My Father died in 2005 and my Mother in 2011.
    You might just as well ask if you are liable to re-pay any remainder of their unpaid loans.
    The answer is that their loans and associated insurance died when they did.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Were these loan paid back before he died?, if they were then your mum as his next of kin could have put the claims in, as your Mum has passed away, you need to contact Barclays and ask if you can do the claim, they will ask for proof that you are allowed to deal with the estate after the death of your mum.

Give Barclays a ring and find out what you should do, if you can make a claim then the reason for mis sell is the loans were front loaded PP, this is a loan on the original loan to term end with interest.
  • amersall
    Forumite
    edited 31 March 2012 at 11:36AM
    You might just as well ask if you are liable to re-pay any remainder of their unpaid loans.
    The answer is that their loans and associated insurance died when they did.

It is possible these loans were clear before he died, or maybe the PPI was claimed on in the event of his death?, if the latter is the case there is no mis sell as it did what it said on the tin i would think the last loan balance may have been more than the PPI amount, but the others could be claimed for mis sell.
  • amersall
    Forumite
    Rocket1971, could you please clarify if the loans were settled or if there are amounts outstanding, we can only guess and can not really help you without the full facts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Rocket1971 wrote: »
    My question is am I able to put in a claim for the years he had the barclayloan? (no paperwork as I destroyed it all approx one year after his death but Barclays may have something somewhere.
    As Amersall said, you'd need to have permission to act on your father's behalf in this matter. Realise also that, as your father died in 2005, the Bank may no longer have records pertaining to the loan. Without paperwork you'll be at a distinct disadvantage.
    Good luck if you proceed...
  • Rocket1971
    Rocket1971 Posts: 48 Forumite
    amersall wrote: »
    Rocket1971, could you please clarify if the loans were settled or if there are amounts outstanding, we can only guess and can not really help you without the full facts.

Dear Amersall,
    Apologies for not following up on this, I got side tracked in general by other bits and bobs and never got round to coming back to this. The loans were all paid up in full. The credit card he had when he died had approx £500.00 on which was cleared by funds from his estate and I do remember him having to provide a doctors certficate every 6 weeks which was then forwarded to barclaycard although they still charged interest at normal rates. I guess I am looking at the loans he took out in previous years. Will write to them anyway it only cost a recorded delivery letter. I will enclose his probate and my Mothers will and see where I get.
    If I get anywhere will post it on here.
    Rocket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family