Increased car insurance premiums after a no fault claim

Options
2»

Comments

• the_voice
    Options
    I have a more extreme example of being ripped off by an insurance company:

I took out a policy with Sabre Insurance via online broker, bewiser.com. I was contacted a few days later and asked about a incident I had registered in March 2010 and not declared during the inception interview. I explained that it was purely a 'notificiation' to report that my unoccupied parked vehicle had been damaged (dented door) in a car park and that I had decided not to make a claim because CCTV had not identified the offender and the repair costs would have equated to the excess I would have paid. I argued that I had answered the questions asked during the inception honestly and accurately i.e. that I had not made any claims, had any accidents or been convicted in the last five years. Sabre decided that, despite being 30 miles away from my carefully parked car when it was damaged, my accident risk level had increased to such an extent that a 20% increase in my premium was warrranted!

I entered into a lengthy and relatively bitter dispute with the insurance broker and put up such a forceful argument that they waived their administration fee and covered some of the increased premium.

My advice would be to never notify your insurer of any 'incident' similar to mine unless you are sure there will be a related claim made. Also, please steer clear of Sabre Insurance - they don't deserve your custom. :(

the voice
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what you showed them is that you are in the habit of parking where "hit & run" drivers play which makes you more of a risk and hence attracts higher premiums.

Normally the proposal questions would have required to to tell them about the incident, sounds like there was some doubt about whether they were asked properly but I wouldn't rely on the same happening in future so you'll need to declare the incident to future insurers as you'll be on the CUE database
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Banana-Man wrote: »
    I've written to LV to see whether they are prepared to cover it or whether I need to pursure their policy holder directly. I'm thinking about doing both.

I'm not sure why this old post has been resurrected but here goes-

If you try to claim from the policyholder, the policyholder is contractually bound to let the insurer handle the matter and is prevented from trying to defend the matter themselves.
    If you were to take the policyholder to court and won, their insurer is legally bound to satisfy the judgement.
    The insurer knows that, but is just trying to put you off, because very few people try to claim for increased insurance costs following a non-fault accident.

Do you have motor legal cover / Uninsured loss recovery cover? If so - get them to do the legwork.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills