IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

APCOA Parking fines LUTON AIRPORT

We've read lots of your messages about this & they reflect our experience exactly with an 'out of the blue' accusation re 'alleged car parking offence'. We were reassured by your comments.
However, this morning we had a phone call from 'Graham White Solicitors' asking to speak to the car owner - we have previously appealed so they have our address (not that of the car owner).
Has anyone else got as far as a phone call from these people? has anyone actually been taken to court?

Comments

• Sirdan
    Sirdan Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2011 at 1:12PM
    Daisycat wrote: »
    We've read lots of your messages about this & they reflect our experience exactly with an 'out of the blue' accusation re 'alleged car parking offence'. We were reassured by your comments.
    However, this morning we had a phone call from 'Graham White Solicitors' asking to speak to the car owner - we have previously appealed so they have our address (not that of the car owner).
    Has anyone else got as far as a phone call from these people? has anyone actually been taken to court?

I haven't but many do.(Get phone calls that is ..APCOA don't do court)

Graham White are in fact just Roxburghe, a Debt Collection Agency (and you can tell them so if you speak to them).

You are not obliged to speak to them but they have a habit of phoning back again and again...unless you tell them this simple fact :

Firstly you are recording the call from this time on (they hate that)

The "debt" is expressly denied.

As such Roxburghe / Graham White are not allowed to continue to pursue the "debt" they must refer it back to their client APCOA.

This is a requirement of the Office of Fair Trading Guidelines on debt collection.

You may wish to remind them that at this time the OfT are minded to revoke their license ..probably because of this sort of behaviour.

Also point out to them that continued phone calls for a denied "debt" is harassment which is a criminal offence and if they continue they will be hearing from a REAL Solicitor i.e. yours re the harassment.

Phone down..and relax.
  • Daisycat wrote: »

Quick answer from me and more expereicnced posters will give you more details on what to say next time they call, but yes Graham White/Roxburghe (because it is the same office... remember, this is a scam, this is just another tactic!) do call people and it just another threatening tactic.

The issue, as you probably now know, is that you 'engaged' with them and fell for the 'appeal' element of the scam to make it appear you have some sort of recourse, you don't, they turn all 'appeals'. They have you down now as a possible soft touch, so you will probably get a few more calls and stuff, but if you follow the advice from the posters on this forum, they will be off your back very soon.
  • Top tactic from JCook on this MSE parking thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1583539&page=17 on 'recording' the next call you have from Graham White. He didn't even get to deny the debt before they put the phone down on him! :j
  • Many thanks from all of you who replied - very reassuring & can sleep better!
    Best wishes - Daisycat.
  • Hi, Please advise us on APCOA parking fines. We read the comments and the advice people have given on the forum. We ignored the two different fines of £80.00 each. After a month we received aother two letters now from Roxburghe Debt Collectors with the new fines of £122.00 each. We also ignored these. After a couple of weeks we received another two letters now from Graham White Solicitors. Now the cost had gone up to £207.25 each. Also this we ignored with great difficulty. Then we got a phone call from Apcoa at home. We started talking about the parking fine at Luton airport, I asked how they got my phone number but they wouldn’t answer that. I asked if they have any proof of anyone getting in or out of the car in question, the answer was, it will cost £10.00 to get a proof by post or if I give them my email address it would be free. But I didn’t want to give my email address. By then I was so upset I told them the car in question did not belong to me but to my wife. Then my wife started getting calls on her mobile, she ignored them, but we don’t know how they got her mobile number. Well this morning my wife received a letter from Roxburghe Debt Collector asking her to call the office to discuss amicable solution and payment. But for one of the Reference no. quoted, we have a receipt of parking (only thing is there is 2 minute difference between receipt and time on fine.) Well please can anyone advise us what to do now urgently please….. :mad:
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    afshah wrote: »
    Hi, Please advise us on APCOA parking fines. We read the comments and the advice people have given on the forum. We ignored the two different fines of £80.00 each. After a month we received aother two letters now from Roxburghe Debt Collectors with the new fines of £122.00 each. We also ignored these. After a couple of weeks we received another two letters now from Graham White Solicitors. Now the cost had gone up to £207.25 each. Also this we ignored with great difficulty. Then we got a phone call from Apcoa at home. We started talking about the parking fine at Luton airport, I asked how they got my phone number but they wouldn’t answer that. I asked if they have any proof of anyone getting in or out of the car in question, the answer was, it will cost £10.00 to get a proof by post or if I give them my email address it would be free. But I didn’t want to give my email address. By then I was so upset I told them the car in question did not belong to me but to my wife. Then my wife started getting calls on her mobile, she ignored them, but we don’t know how they got her mobile number. Well this morning my wife received a letter from Roxburghe Debt Collector asking her to call the office to discuss amicable solution and payment. But for one of the Reference no. quoted, we have a receipt of parking (only thing is there is 2 minute difference between receipt and time on fine.) Well please can anyone advise us what to do now urgently please….. :mad:

Yes, ignore them. If they call again tell them you dispute the debt and they will have to refer it back to Apcoa.

There are plenty of threads here, including a long one about Luton Airport. Read through it to give you some peace of mind.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,619
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    afshah wrote: »
    Hi, Please advise us on APCOA parking fines. We read the comments and the advice people have given on the forum. We ignored the two different fines of £80.00 each. After a month we received aother two letters now from Roxburghe Debt Collectors with the new fines of £122.00 each. We also ignored these. After a couple of weeks we received another two letters now from Graham White Solicitors. Now the cost had gone up to £207.25 each. Also this we ignored with great difficulty. Then we got a phone call from Apcoa at home. We started talking about the parking fine at Luton airport, I asked how they got my phone number but they wouldn’t answer that. I asked if they have any proof of anyone getting in or out of the car in question, the answer was, it will cost £10.00 to get a proof by post or if I give them my email address it would be free. But I didn’t want to give my email address. By then I was so upset I told them the car in question did not belong to me but to my wife. Then my wife started getting calls on her mobile, she ignored them, but we don’t know how they got her mobile number. Well this morning my wife received a letter from Roxburghe Debt Collector asking her to call the office to discuss amicable solution and payment. But for one of the Reference no. quoted, we have a receipt of parking (only thing is there is 2 minute difference between receipt and time on fine.) Well please can anyone advise us what to do now urgently please….. :mad:

It's not a fine at all. It's a scam - read this whole thread, I haven't a clue why you are so panicked TBH with all the info and links on here.

Also when you have read this thread, then go back a step to the current forum view and read the sticky threads at the top of the sub-forum 'welcome, please read before posting' and 'PPC letters, what to expect'.

Stop calling it a fine and stop taking their calls and talking about what they want to talk about! Next time they call, (DO NOT waste your money ringing them!!) tell them what YOU want to say: 'The alleged debt is denied and any further contact will be deemed harassment. Goodbye' Phone down.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    You are well within your rights to make the answer simple
    tell them to **** OFF and if they think they have a case to answer go to court.
    Repeat as many times as required.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dont encourage them by holding a conversation just a simple bye bye or as Vax advised!
  • Hi.
    I've just received a letter from APCOA alleging that I did a drop off/pick up at Luton Airport. I wasn't even at Luton Airport on the day they say I was.
    Should I reply saying that I dispute the enforcement notice, explaining that I wasn't at the airport on the day mentioned in their letter, or should I just wait and see what they do next?
    Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport