keeping tropical and cold water fish.

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not seen that one before,Katy.It looks good but because it is in America .some of the stuff it recommends is not available here.That is why i prefer Practical Fishkeeping,you can chat to everyone and sometimes you can come across people who are local to you and may have useful,local information,or can even help you out with rehoming fish etc..
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2010 at 7:54PM
    update: disaster struck this afternoon! i was cleaning out the tank in preparation for setting up, it was stood on its tallest side i was slowly lowering it and it slipped from my grasp luckely it didnt fall far but enought to chip and crack the bottom courner of the tank :( just not my day today.

only the bottom courner is affected by this crack the chip is minor and sealed. the crack is about 2 inches in lengh :( but i do have a plan to repair it.

i have a rectangle peice of glass about 4 inches in width by a few mills in thickness. i intend to reinforce the inside of the tank with the glass with aquarium glass bond and do the same to the underside and bond the outer edges where the chip is.

in light if this fails i will be able to separate the bottom pane from the tank have a new pane made up and sealed and bonded so the tank is not a complete loss.

at present i put sealer over the crack to stop it widening tested its strengh filled it halfway with water and no leak and crack didnt get any wider or bigger., water emptied and another skin of sealer put over crack.

im gutted but in hindsight the custom made stand is not completed yet and with this misshap the kind fellow who is doing it for me has said that he will fit drawers and shelving in it for me and seal it and stain it now he more time. he is also going to go over the hood seal and stain it same colour for me so all ties in.

a family friend also have a large peice of driftwood i can have.
  • Froglet
    Forumite
    How annoying,it can happen so easy though can't it? i once leaned too far on a chair whilst reaching into my deep tank and fell forward.In a split second i could see me crashing into the tank,glass and water and fish going everywhere and probably severing a main artery at the same time :eek::eek:

I don't to this day know how i managed to avoid hitting the tank,i must have missed by a millimetre. I managed to lean sideways and instead crashed into the wall next to the tank and ended up wrapped around the tippled over chair.I was bruised very badly but better that than the alternative that does not bear thinking about.

have been a damn sight more careful since!
  • feeling a bit more confident that it is repairable done some research and theres allot worse that been patched up than what ive done.

patch it up and wait a fewdays to dry completely job done. have polystyrine for the underside of the tank so some pressure will be taken out of the base.
  • Jellicat
    Jellicat Posts: 274 Forumite
    Does anyone have marines? Toying with the idea of setting up a marine tank with some of the hardier fishes, but it all looks so complex in comparison to freshwater. I think its just keeping the salinity level stable that's freaking me out. Not to mention the cost of the equipment and live rock :eek:.
  • Froglet
    Forumite
    I just don't feel it is fair to have marine fish in a tank,they should be in the wild(mind you i feel like that about a lot of tropicals too,now.)

Yes it can be expensive and harder to get right so the fish and corals don't suffer.But i am sure with the right research,know how and equipment you would be ok.
  • Jellicat
    Jellicat Posts: 274 Forumite
    Really its principally for clownfish, and from what I have read they tend not to stray far from their anemone in the wild for safety reasons. In fact most marine fish are actually coral reef fish, not open water fish. I'll be searching high and low for captive bred ones to, there's no way I'm getting wild caught ones. I wouldn't say its morally much different from keeping any fish that would naturally live in a larger body of water. I'm guessing this includes goldfish from the size of them, not to mention many cichlids. I also don't plan on keeping corals, just a couple of fish.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    When I was much, much younger while living with my parents had a goldfish pond in the back garden. First of all it was 6' x 4', then later became 7' x 5' with a big lily and plenty of pond weed (elodea). There was no thought of pumps or filters!
    More recently - decades later, moved to a house that has a 11.5' x 7.5' pond. Added plants and goldfish, together this time with filter & pump. After losing some to a hungry heron, after researching others experience - contacted visited someone only four miles away. An interesting chat, he had many different varieties of fish in a crescent pond only feet from a window - but still had heron visitors!
    He generously gave me a black bag full of weed, incl marigolds. Turns out that while the weed gave my fish extra cover for their offspring, there must have been eggs attached, and even small fish!
    While it is hard to say, how many of the young fish - now two years old are from my fish, and how many from his, yet one is a puzzle.
    And this is the point of the post - it is different to the rest, stockier, and with a much wider mouth. A colleague has suggested it could be a koi/goldfish cross!??
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Froglet
    Forumite
    Most interesting question and i really don't know the answer.Try asking here

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/

is it still it's original colour,ie black? Could be a throw back to the common carp which is where all goldfish originate from.Some goldfish never colour up.If crossed with a koi,well,it could grow rather large!
  • update to my tank i have now hopefully repaired the crack in the tank. will wait and see in 24 hours when the sealer sets. i will then fill and leave it stand to test it then test the water (to see if the sealer has an impact on water condition of the tank (have used approved sealer) to put my mind a ease just incase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure