Anyone know of any charity vets in Crawley?

MrsE_2
MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 12 January 2010 at 12:00AM in Pets & pet care
One of my daughters young friends has a cat who has the runs.

Her vet is £50 for a basic appointment & she can't afford it till pay day.

She lives in Crawley.

Anyone know of any charity vets in Crawley?

My vets is only £20, so if she can't find one then there is always mine, but its at least 15 miles from her & she doesn't drive.

Found a PDSA in Brighton, but will they help her anyway? She works full time (but doesn't live at home so doesn't have much money left after rent & bills).

Comments

• I think the PDSA will only give free treatment if you are in reciept of housing benefit.
    Sorry I'm not near you so I can't be of more help, hope she/you find somewhere at a reasonable cost.
  • I think she will have to go into her overdraft, or borrow the money, or use a credit card...

.. hope she gets the cat sorted!
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    PDSA have a catchment area, I think it's three miles? Some Vet's do PDSA clients too but I imagine they show up on the website so it's probably the one she found that's closest. Also, afaik, if it's a Practice not a Hospital you have to be registered before the Pet needs treatment. You also need either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit or both. The RSPCA help if in their area, I know for me they don't do my area but they could do hers, let me get a link.
    Ok can't find the link, the RSPCA have a place 13 miles from Crawley in Southampton (According to their site), I don't know what they require in regards to benefits/location to qualify for treatment.

Has she phoned her Vet's to ask? Normally they give free advice on the phone, if the Cat only has the runs & no other symptoms has she changed the food recently or could the Cat have eaten something it shouldn't? If it's not been unwell for long maybe she could keep it off food for 24hrs & then give something bland? I bet her Vet's would give telephone advice, if not there's Vetphone & others like it where she could call a number with Vet Nurses 24/7 for advice.

If not would her Vet let her pay on payday? If she's a long time & good client many will, my own will if necessary once they know the customer. I hope by now the Cat is ok!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    PDSA have a catchment area, I think it's three miles? Some Vet's do PDSA clients too but I imagine they show up on the website so it's probably the one she found that's closest. Also, afaik, if it's a Practice not a Hospital you have to be registered before the Pet needs treatment. You also need either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit or both. The RSPCA help if in their area, I know for me they don't do my area but they could do hers, let me get a link.
    Ok can't find the link, the RSPCA have a place 13 miles from Crawley in Southampton (According to their site), I don't know what they require in regards to benefits/location to qualify for treatment.

Has she phoned her Vet's to ask? Normally they give free advice on the phone, if the Cat only has the runs & no other symptoms has she changed the food recently or could the Cat have eaten something it shouldn't? If it's not been unwell for long maybe she could keep it off food for 24hrs & then give something bland? I bet her Vet's would give telephone advice, if not there's Vetphone & others like it where she could call a number with Vet Nurses 24/7 for advice.

If not would her Vet let her pay on payday? If she's a long time & good client many will, my own will if necessary once they know the customer. I hope by now the Cat is ok!

Thanks, my daughter has forwarded her your reply.
  • Tailwaggers club Trust can make a donation towards unexpected veterinary fees. Tel: 01276 858880

You will have to put the three w's followed by tailwaggersclubtrust.com/ as I still can't post links.

Blue Cross might also help. Tel: 0300 123 9933

Again the three w's followed by bluecross.org.uk

PDSA have what they call vet aid centres which are private vets who will undertake treatment of animals local to them under the PDSA. Their enquiry line is 0800 731 2502

Also, some vets will allow you to set up a payment scheme with them, and an increasing number of vets have supporters who will donate towards treatment of animals whose clients don't fall into any of the above schemes but who are having financial difficulties.

Try to avoid the RSPCA if possible because they are giving people the option of signing over their animals or being prosecuted if the animal is in need of treatment and you can't afford it. Their centres are not free.
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2010 at 8:29PM
    Mrs E
    Im crawley, pdsa in southgate road closed a while back, but i know some of the local vets do schemes,
    Fergusons, if u tell ur daughter its past b&q on london road, on the corner of windmill court, has a vets nurse u can see who doesn't charge much xxx

When my Topsy sees them at fergusons it is £25ish, though now he is fully insured he pays a different rate
    Im sure there is a place up Broadfields the other end of town, just can't think of the name at the moment xxx

Edit: Just asked oh, when we last took Topsy when he had a bad belly, the vets nurse saw him and it was £16 + £6 for meds

xxxx hth xxxx
    #JusticeForGrenfell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family