Maximum mortgage multiples

Hi I'm a little confused as to how to find the best mortgage.
I'm looking at properties around £315k in London and have at least £34k for a deposit and more to cover stamp duty/fees.

I have no outstanding debt (well £2,500 on a 0% card until Apr '12)

My salary is around £77k and receive bonuses of 10% though I've only been in the job 2 years so this doesn't seem to count.

Most lenders (including HSBC Advance - who I bank with) are capping what they lend at around £270k. I can more than afford the monthly payments of £1,700-2,000 as I currently save £2-2,500k a month.

Any advice on who could offer a higher amount?

Thanks

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    At £2.5k a month it shouldn't take long to significantly increase your deposit. As if you've been offered £270k as a mortgage really not far away from your objective. So suggest you have a little patience.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You have a 10% deposit on a £315K property and owe £2500 on a credit card!
    Save and look at a place for £250K if possible
  • I can't find any 2 bed properties in North London at £250k.
    Also, I need to move by November as my tenancy runs out and there is a rent review which will add £150 a month.
  • bruciebounus
    bruciebounus Posts: 171 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2011 at 5:35PM
    I can't find any 2 bed properties in North London at £250k.
    Also, I need to move by November as my tenancy runs out and there is a rent review which will add £150 a month.

Try Borehamwood, zone 6 but has great transport links- st pancras in 20 mins and you could get a 2/3 bed there for 250k.

On another note, i'm currently buying and have been given nearly 4.5x my salary.
  • mustang1
    mustang1 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I bought a couple of years ago - my 2 bed flat was £326k and I borrowed £276k. I was lucky enough to bank with Natwest who lent me 4 times my salary (and were happy to go up to 5 times although I'd never have dared go that much).

HSBC are one of the stricter lenders. Do you have people who you work with who could recommend a good mortgage broker to help you find those lenders who might lend you what you need?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure