PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PudseyDB wrote: »
    :eek: that's a big book!! What was it, and any good? :D

Under the Dome. Bought 30th December 2011, finished last night. If you liked The Stand, you'll probably like it! And it's on Kindle.

Basketcase: yeah, books the size of housebricks need to have a fast turnround, especially in our flat:D That reminds me, due to previous decluttering, it was really easy to find a space to hide some:beer: on 1st January when Him Indoors stopped drinking for 6 weeks. The only stuff not hidden is the Baileys (still in the fridge)which I need to crack on and finish. What a chore, eh?:D
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Pudsey and Hattifattener, have just caught up with the posts and my heart goes out to you both. I don't think it's something anyone can ever come to terms with - and you shouldn't feel like you have to. It's a huge loss. I agree with what someone else has said, though, about this being an opportunity to look to the future - even if you don't always feel up to it.

Pudsey: Could you not leave that part of the decluttering for a time when you are more up for it? And then maybe put some special time aside to enable you to do it and allow the emotions that it will bring out? I guess it's not the kind of thing the OH would like to do with you...
  • OK. I don't get it. Several people have mentioned Zapper, but I've put loads of books in and it has rejected about a third of them. I have 25 books they have accepted for a paltry £11.14!!! Is this just bad luck or the norm? :mad::(

Some of the books I'm trying to sell through Amazon instead - one I listed on Zapper and Amazon sold it overnight for a lot more than the 30p Zapper were offering. :)
  • dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Another day of not much, but as they say every little helps:rotfl:, so

8. Kids waistcoat donated to school class 4 for Victorian dressing up.
    9. HUGE bag of clothes collected by BHF from doorstep (must have been at least 20+ things in it but counted as 1 as I like a challenge).
    10. Tea towel and bag of wet towels returned to work.

Really must get myself organised and start listing on ebay again, this stuff is not going to walk itself out, and I really really hate binning perfectly good things, however on the other side of the coin really really detest the grabby grabby nature of our local freecycle!
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • shebangs
    shebangs Posts: 297 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2012 at 9:11PM
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    CH27 wrote: »
    My tip for the kitchen & bathroom is to wipe them over every day before bed.
    It only takes a few minutes & that way everything is put away & clean for when you get up in the morning.

I never go upstairs empty handed. There is always something to take up & put away.

I'd rather iron every day for 20 mins that do it once a week.

I do this too. I think it helps psycholigically too. This is what works for me:-

I never leave the house with the beds unmade (it takes just a minute to neaten the duvets covers).

The bathroom and kitchen are always tidy when we go to bed. Makes it far easier to clean too.

If you have lots of ironing make sure it's in one pile, not scattered all round the house.

Tackle one cluttered up space at a time and be ruthless.

I think a lot of it is habit. Once you've got yourself into a routine it will just become the norm and you'll find it will gradually get easier as time goes on.

Good luck. You have a lot on your plate but things do get easier as the children get older - honest :)
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    OK. I don't get it. Several people have mentioned Zapper, but I've put loads of books in and it has rejected about a third of them. I have 25 books they have accepted for a paltry £11.14!!! Is this just bad luck or the norm? :mad::(

Some of the books I'm trying to sell through Amazon instead - one I listed on Zapper and Amazon sold it overnight for a lot more than the 30p Zapper were offering. :)

I will only get about £12 for 19 items, mostly books but some cd/dvd's. A few books I couldn't sell at car boot and not worth putting on Amazon as they only go for a 1p, and when you take off postage and fees there's not a lot if anything left. Sold a big book on Amazon for £12 but because of weight I only made £2 if that. :(

Zapper seem to like text books. Having said I will only get £12, it's £12 more than I expected to get. I have about 10 books that no-one wants!
  • I'd skip some of the home cooking at least til you get back on your feet. Cooking everything from scratch and baking your own bread and cakes as lovely and I mostly do but it takes time and makes mess which will add to your clutter. Batch cook big pots of stew and casseroles with loads of veg and leave it at that for now. You have a lot more on your plate than most of us so do what you can and don't beat yourself up about the rest.
    "A savoury muffin?? As if life wasn't disappointing enough!" Miranda
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Pudsey and Hatti, my heart goes out to you. I lost a baby at 16 weeks and goodness knows that was bad enough. (((Hugs))) to you both.
  • jess1011
    jess1011 Posts: 233 Forumite
    It's awful reading what some of you gave been through, really makes you count your blessings. Massive hugs to you xxx

Ditch 100 in January
    So far today today -

1 pair jeans - cs
    1 cardigan - cs
    2 jumpers - cs
    5 tops - cs
    1 dress - cs
    1 filing box - mom and dad

Still going today so hopefully a few more things will be added to my list later

69/100 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport