asda gammon joints

got 700g gammon joints in asda today £2 or £2.86/kg, smoked or unsmoked
I always buy these, boil one up, get a nice meal then lovely leftovers for sarnies in the week, much nice than pepacked ham

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Bacon/ASDA_Unsmoked_Gammon_Joint_700g.htm

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,849
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    cdodd wrote: »
    I always buy these, boil one up, get a nice meal then lovely leftovers for sarnies in the week, much nice than pepacked ham

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Bacon/ASDA_Unsmoked_Gammon_Joint_700g.htm

We're sorry...
    We couldn't find the page you requested...
    Please go to the Homepage and try again.
    If you continue having trouble finding what you are looking for please contact our
    customer service department at [EMAIL="support@mysupermarket.co.uk"]support@mysupermarket.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,837
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    the offer is available in my asda but in my supermarket I had been set to trolley in tesco, which gave the above error. Manually change trolley to asda and then search for gammon, its quite a way down the page.

I find cooking in coke (cheap own brand ok but not diet) makes even the cheap joints taste good. Thanks nigella!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cdodd wrote: »

still marked as £3.78 each on the shelf in my local Asda today but I got CS to price check one for me and it came up as £2 :T

They'd also got chickens at £2 each (special offer sticker on the chicken not a shelf label)
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How do you boil the gammon and could it be served as another meat as well as turkey on christmas day when boiled this way or do you use it for a different type of meal?
  • cdodd
    cdodd Posts: 638 Forumite
    kippers wrote: »
    How do you boil the gammon and could it be served as another meat as well as turkey on christmas day when boiled this way or do you use it for a different type of meal?

I soak in cold water for a few hours to make it less salty and then boil for about an hour, as other people have quoted you can cook in coke for extra flavour, you can also bake in the oven and baste with honey or something similar to make a glaze. It would go well served alongside xmas turkey. I often serve with mashed potato and cheese sauce, leftovers nice chopped up into pasta and cheese sauce. If you search on the old style board there'll be more ideas. As you can see i'm a great fan, makes lovely sarnies, even better when it's on offer!!
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    lidl have a 1kg package of gammon for 3quid right now if you don't have an asda near you

i like to cook mine in the slowcooker with either coke or a tin of pineapple tipped over the top, very tasty :p
  • Confuzzled wrote: »
    i like to cook mine in the slowcooker with either coke or a tin of pineapple tipped over the top, very tasty :p

That does sound nice. Must give that a try. :D
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    I did one in the pressure cooker yesterday, it was delicious and enough for four good helpings.
  • storminabuttercup
    storminabuttercup Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2009 at 10:16PM
    try it cooked in slow cooker for about 12 hours on low then take out - cover in honey and put in oven for 20 mins - melts in the mouth - yummy - got two in the fridge ready!

also asda have chickens on at 2 pound - i bought two and cooked both one for sunday lunch - rest for sandwhiches today and all the brown meat for the doggies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure