Spade Connectors on Washing Machine?

Hi,

My Daewoo washing machine has stopped and is displaying error code H6. Thanfully I have found an online forum which says that it means that a spade connector has dislodged itself from the back of the machine and needs to be reconnected.

My husband is away for a week so I really want to know is - am I likely to find this spade connector at the back of the machine easily? What does one look like? What should it be connected to?

If it's very complicated I will have to leave it until husband comes home rather than pay too much to get someone out to fix it. On the other hand if it is rather simple I'll have a go myself.

Sophie

Comments

• A spade connector is unlikely to be at the back of the machine - due to lack of insulation to that type of connector - more likely to be inside at the back

with washing machines, the tricky bit is access, can you actually get to the back - if so probably an access panel held by screws, or maybe the top has to come off to get access.

As to what it connects too - well if you're luck there will be one empty terminal visible that it has come off - if more than one - look for marks made by the connector which has come off, on the spade
    If more than one and not sure - leave it !
    You might need to gently squeeze the connector to give it some more grip to hold on to the spade

Of course all this would be done with it switched off ( preferably disconnected ) at the wall

I leave it to you to judge - have a go or wait ?
  • One or more connectors might just need to be pushed back in place (and not showing blanck spade terminals if you know what I mean). If you can open the top (generally giving access to the machine inners), turn power off and push all the connectors you see firmly back in place. Mine did that many years ago (AEG Sensomatic) and the slightest movement in connector can cause the problem. Check machine is working before putting top back on and try to remember where the screws came from, ideally mark the hole with a felt pen or a small bit of sticky tape. Good luck
  • Thanks for the replies - I've had a look at the back of the machine and there is a largish metal plate with screws which I assume is going to give me access to the workings inside - there are no screws anywhere else so I think that is the bit I have to remove.

Am going to be brave and open it up when I get back from church and make a decision when I have had a look inside - if I can't see what I'm supposed to do I will leave it but if the bits I need to find are fairly obvious I shall go for it and be very proud when husband phones tonight and I say - 'the washing machine broke so I just reconnected the spade connectors and it's all fine now...'

I'll let you know how it goes...
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    remove the plug from the wall completely.
    dont just switch off.
    it should be very obvious which spade connector has come loose and where it goes.
    good luck.
    Get some gorm.
  • Post the make and model of the washer. My washer lid comes off with two screws at the back then the lid slides back and lifts off giving me access to the top half of the washer. Get you mobile and take some pics of it before you do anything then if you get carried away checking wires you have a reference.
  • The machine is a Daewoo DWD-1210S - just had another look at it and it is possible that the top slides off as I found a screw at either side on the back. I can't find anything in the manual that says how you get into it.

Sophie
  • Just found the post on uk white goods.

Try the top of the washer first, hopefully two screws and the lid will slide off. Have a look round for a loose connector. Hopefully you have switched the washer off or you may get that new perm you were after!!!

Good luck with it
  • The top came off fine - I opened it up and didn't expect there to be so many wires! There is nothing obviously disconnected to I think I am going to either have to get someone out to fix it or wait until my husband comes home next Saturday.

I might have another look at it in a while - I'm currently feeling pathetically girly...
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    you might be looking at the wrong end.
    try the motor section down below.
    remove the back panel to access it.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income