Cost of replacing toilet cistern inner workings - how much should I pay?

Our new toilet cistern inner workings from Bathstore.com were faulty. They provided replacements and asked us to get a plumber to do the work, pay for it and send the bill to them for reimbursement. The plumber charged us £95, which we duly paid. Bathstore.com then refused to re-imburse us saying it should have cost no more than £30. I can't believe anyone would travel to do any household related job for £30 including 17.5% VAT. Can readers give me an idea of how much it costs for a plumber to visit, drain the toilet, and replace the inner workings in total ie. not just the ballcock but everything. We live in the country about 15 miles from the nearest town if that is relevant.

Thanks Binder:mad:

Comments

• its 30 mins tops for a plumber
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bet this happens quite a lot.

If they gave you no upper limit at the start, then to impose an artificial cap afterwards is not transparent. Or fair.

I would focus less on the fact that they find £95.00 to be unreasonable (this is a bit of a red herring) and focus more on that they have seemingly recinded on the deal of covering your costs (whatever they may be) of putting things right.

Find out who the manager is at the local store and try and speak to them face to face.

If still no joy, ask for their name and title and for a contact name at the head office.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i repair most cisterns within 30mins but do keep plenty of stock in van

prices range but on average i would always estimate around £75

if there did supply parts then this would reduce the cost i would charge

there are plenty of points which could mean the job could take longer

no service valves?

incorrect parts?

concealed cistern with little access?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure