Can you get Grants for Reroofing.

hi, just wondering if u can tell me if there is any grant I can apply for changing our roof. I had a quote for £9000 - £10000 and I cant really afford it unless apply for a loan payable in 5-7 yrs which I dont really want to do.

Our roof is really needing change as there are water coming in already. Last year because no money I only had it a temporary repair but I guess sooner or later it has to be reroofed..

thanks

Comments

• I know that some councils do grants for roofing,however I think most of them have time limits, say you can't apply before you have been a a resident in that particular property for a certain number of years.Look on your local council website it should tell you on there.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Grants are typically assessed on whether or not your property meets the tolerable standard, in this case being sufficiently wind and water tight. If your roof is not a state of 'serious disrepair', I'm afraid the onus is upon the owner occupier to maintain their own property.

Councils are therefore not necessarily responsible for the upkeep of private residences, understandibly.

Reroofing is an essential part of the regular maintenance of a person's property, along the lines of external rendering, guttering and drainage etc.

It is therefore unlikely that you would be eligible for a Grant.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    there certainly was roofing grants many yrs ago.
    ive no idea if local councils do this now. i rather suspect they dont.

ask your local council.
    also councils do seem to differ on so many issues.
    Get some gorm.
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Our council South Lanarkshire gives grants to homeowners for replacement roofs, double glazing and roughcasting. We got 50% towards out double glazing two years ago - we already had double glazing but it wasn't great. A few of my neighbours are getting their roofs done, but they don't have holes, water ingress etc. Council passed it fine. There is a waiting list of about 3 - 5 years though if your roof is urgently needing done you can move up the list.
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • ormus
    found this from my local council website.

Eligibility for home improvement assistance
    Home Improvement Assistance is in place to ensure that minimum housing standards are met and to improve the housing market across XXXXXX by helping you repair and maintain your home. Depending on what the council judges to be most appropriate, Home Improvement Assistance will be available in the following forms;

Repayment Loan
    Appreciation Loan
    Hardship Grant
    Eligibility

You can apply for Home Improvement Assistance if you are an owner-occupier or leaseholder with an owner-occupation certificate or a certificate of intended letting.

You need to have owned the property and lived there for the last three years (unless the council decides to waive this qualification to meet its strategic aims and objectives).

Priority will also be given to the following applications:

The property fails to meet the “Decent Homes Standard” and
    Repairing the property must be the best option and
    The property is located within one of the areas identified as a priority by the council or
    You plan to bring back into use an empty property - it must be demonstrated that the property has been empty for some time and that you will be able to keep the property occupied after the work is complete. This means that you must either commit to living in the property, or if renting it out, provide a business plan. Landlords will generally have to fund work themselves.
    What types of works qualify for assistance?

To qualify for assistance the house must meet nine set criteria, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

To receive renovation assistance, applicants must agree to carry out all of works specified as necessary by the council. The types of works we will identify will be repairs rather than improvements and could include items such as:

Electrical rewiring or repairs to an electrical installation
    Repair or replacement of a boiler or a part of a heating or hot water system
    Repair or replacement of floors, staircases, walls, ceilings, windows or doors
    Repair or renewal of any part of the building causing significant rising or penetrating damp
    Works to prevent on going and significant structural movement
    Works to provide adequate kitchen facilities
    Works to provide adequate indoor bathroom facilities

How much assistance is available?

The type of assistance provided will be through a test of resources and there are conditions. This assistance will normally be restricted to a maximum of £20,000, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Repayment Loan

This is a regular loan where the capital and interest are repaid by the applicant on a regular basis throughout the term of the loan. The level of interest will be decided upon from the outset, with consideration paid to the ability of the applicant to repay the loan. This loan also satisfies faith requirements.

This will be made available to people who have difficulty accessing commercial loans.

Appreciation Loan

An appreciation loan will be given when a repayment loan is deemed to be unsuitable. The council advances a loan equivalent of up to 50% of the value of your house. The loan will then take the form of a percentage of the value of your house which only needs to be repaid when the house is sold or transferred.

For example, if the loan is 30% of the value of the property, after the relevant works have been carried out, you must repay 30% of the open market value of the property at the time of sale or transfer.

Hardship Grant

If you suffer from serious health and safety, or financial problems, it may be decided that a totally loan based assistance is unsuitable to provide the repairs that you require. Therefore Hardship Grant assistance may be given to either complement a loan, or in place of any loan, to complete the work.
    Get some gorm.
  • Thanks to all you folks..seems I will be very busy phone Renfrewshire Council tomorrow and some other places.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    mrsbudget wrote:
    Thanks to all you folks..seems I will be very busy phone Renfrewshire Council tomorrow and some other places.

Good luck.

I live under the same authority and they're not the best at communication.

My guess is you will want to call the Housing Dept who may need to liase with Env Health on the matter (I know this as I work in Env Health).

Whether or not you're eligible will come to down to whether or not they have significant funding for housing improvements in the private sector, I know for a fact my authority (I work elsewhere) does not.

Local authorities tend to reserve most of their budgets for their own housing stock and not private dwellings. This is commonplace, as they simply do not have the central government funding for the improvement/renovation of private stock that used to be available 10 years or so ago.
  • ormus
    im as shocked as you probably were at that information, i posted?

i really did not know that those sort of grants were still available.
    even allowing for all the rules/regs etc. it seems a lot is at least possible?
    Get some gorm.
  • epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    im sure its great for all you guys getting free money to do your houses up but i do wonder why my council tax is subsidising this.

i dont mind some situations like great old houses that are unique or beautiful, the impression im getting here is its everyone with an ex council semi and you know its being run buy some council lacky with no clue.
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    amanda40 wrote:
    Our council South Lanarkshire gives grants to homeowners for replacement roofs, double glazing and roughcasting. We got 50% towards out double glazing two years ago - we already had double glazing but it wasn't great. A few of my neighbours are getting their roofs done, but they don't have holes, water ingress etc. Council passed it fine. There is a waiting list of about 3 - 5 years though if your roof is urgently needing done you can move up the list.

Same goes for Glasgow City Council for roofs, and about a 5 year waiting list too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure