Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

A friend has an infestation of bees/wasps under a flat roof on an extension.

He has thought of drilling a hole in the facia board so that he can pump something in to kill them, but what!

Any suggestions please.

Comments

• Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Hit them with a bat and run like the wind.

Or phone the council they usually have a pest control department.
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Mr_Skint wrote:

Or phone the council they usually have a pest control department.

but they aint cheap..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have a look at this older thread, you might get some ideas from there:

HUGE FLIPPIN WASPS NEST

Pink
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have to call in a bee keeper to remove bees. My colleague has just had this problem and I looked up the info for her.

If they are wasps though puffing in some powder should be effective. We did that when he had a wasp problem and it took a couple of goes but it got rid of them in the end.
  • amboy
    amboy Posts: 386
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    we have similar problem under the floor though and coming in throug air bricks. Our council charge £50, but they advised that the wasp season is nearly over and then they will hibernate and leave.

He also advised to spraythe air brick late at night and to leave ant powder onthe air brick so the wasps will pick it up and take it to the nest.

Just wish there was a better way
    My Shop Is Your Shop
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    jockettuk wrote:
    but they aint cheap..

Eh hum er,,, just to get info.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Our local council charge £35, but if you point out that the nest is near a public area they will waive the charge. They also do it for free for pensioners.

I had one dealt with earlier this year. Because we have a communal garden they didn't charge me.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • We have had this problem a couple of times - they were getting in through air bricks, once at the front of the house and once at the back.

We have a local exterminator who used to do the same job for the council. He puffs some white powder into the area where they are going in (which they don't like) and it kills them. He told us some real horror stories about the size of some of the nests he has dealt with.
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Mr_Skint wrote:
    Eh hum er,,, just to get info.

the info at our council is we will come out and sort it out for £45 other but we cant advise you over the phone
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • jmf
    jmf Posts: 148 Forumite
    Thank you very much for all your replies. I think it will be a phone call to the local council and hope it will not cost too much.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport