HELP - Mouldy walls in bedroom.

Options

Comments

• John_3:16
    Options
    We get the same problem. After thinking about it, I think the windows will have a metal beam to support the brickwork. This in turn will be very cold so the warm air hitting that part of th window could condensate. Unless you want alot of draft live with it and wipe down when you see it. Or heat the house so hot it does not form.

You can also get paint that stops mildew.

It could just be a cold part of the house. most houses have one.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • itsakidsworld
    Options
    This is a very common problem and it is because you have a "cold Spot" which in your case is your bay window.

The roof is not the problem as this would produce damp patches not mould patches.

You can always open the windows ( if possible) first thing in the morning for the period you are up and getting ready for work which releases the build up of condensation in this area. Also like posted, wipe away the black spots as soon as they appear.

If you have central heating and you do not have a radiator in this area, then consider having one fitted. People do not realise that having a radiator under a window is actually a very good area to increase warm air flow around the room. People assume that by having radiators under windows allows for heat to escape, thus costing us money!!

Houses need to breath to function correct so allow as much air flow through your home as possible.

Good luck.
  • Loobysaver
    Options
    Wow I'm really surprised that other people have the same problem and even more so that my Mum may be right!!!:eek:

It is sooo unsightly. The room was wall-papered but it went all mouldy round the bay and started peeling that we took it off and just painted the room instead.

"itsakidsworld" - It's interesting what you said about the radiator. The radiator at the moment is on the other side of the room against an internal wall. I was wondering if it would be worth getting it moved but didn't want to if it made no difference.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a radiator moved from one end of the bedroom to the other (about 10 feet away)?
  • John_3:16
    Options
    Not Knowing the lay out I would think abou £100

There is also Thin polystyrene Paper that you can put onto the wall before you wallpaper that would help.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    John_3:16 wrote:
    There is also Thin polystyrene Paper that you can put onto the wall before you wallpaper that would help.
    I thought that was now illegal because of the fire risk?

Tip: a small electric fan (not a heater, just a fan) to keep the air circulating whenever possible will alleviate the problem.
  • shoppingnoodles
    Options
    My last flat had a mould problem due to condensation on an external wall. I cured it by stripping the wallpaper, cleaning it with an anti fungal liquid specifically for the job, then painting it with anti condensation paint. I think that it was made by a company called International and I bought it from Wilkinsons for about £11 or £12. It raises the temperature of the wall surface, so condensation doesn't form, so inhibiting the mould. Bit of a pain taking off the wallpaper, but it worked a treat and the wallpaper was getting damaged by the mould anyway. Perhaps this might work for you too?
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My last flat had a mould problem due to condensation on an external wall. I cured it by stripping the wallpaper, cleaning it with an anti fungal liquid specifically for the job, then painting it with anti condensation paint. I think that it was made by a company called International and I bought it from Wilkinsons for about £11 or £12. It raises the temperature of the wall surface, so condensation doesn't form, so inhibiting the mould. Bit of a pain taking off the wallpaper, but it worked a treat and the wallpaper was getting damaged by the mould anyway. Perhaps this might work for you too?

This sounds excellent. I might give that a go.

Also, I have a theory that it might be better to use a matt emulsion on walls/celings in such areas, rather than vinyl or silk finish. My reasoning for this is that a matt paint seems to remain pourous, whereas vinyls and silk finish paints tend not to be porous. The porosity of the matt paint, would, I believe, help to dissipate the moisture within the wall, rather than allowing it to reamain on the surface and therefore cause mould spores to form. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a view on my theory?
  • Clairee_4
    Options
    Please someone, anyone...
    I have a major problem with mould in the bedrooms, its on the walls and ceiling.
    I clean it off all the time, but no it still comes back.
    I have had new windows and cavity wall insulation done, what can it be???
    Its not damp but mould
    Thank you for reading this and thankyou even more if you know what it is.
    :confused:
  • mishkanorman
    Options
    My dad would quite happily lecture you about this till the cows come home ;)

Basically its because you've stopped the air flow around your room, so have a window open for a couple of hours a day and it stops it.

mishka
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure there is no damage to the guttering too, had a nasty bout of mould in main bedroom a few years ago, same place all the time, just underneath where the guttering join needed releading. Seemed to sort it out when it was fixed.

(I'd still go along with airing the room out properly as well though)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure