Remove name from mortgage?

Guys, I need some advice. Due to breakup, I am wondering if and how you go about removing a name from a mortgage. Is it possible to do without remortgaging, or do you have to take out a new one?
DFW'ers photography comp member no. 6

Comments

• bonnerbob
    bonnerbob Posts: 49 Forumite
    As long as you can prove you can make the payments, they will do such a thing for a charge. (think it was £200 admin fee). The danger is tho that the payments will be too much for just yourself. But i did it without too much problem and without remortaging.
  • Make sure you've agreed a final financial settlement before you take on any more debt. If there's equity in the house, you may need to buy your partner out of that element as well as taking on the whole mortgage, so do work out your sums before hand.

I also had to pay stamp duty on the half house that I bought from my ex.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • brummybloke
    brummybloke Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    when i got the ex off my mortgage i had to have a new mortgage, the original one had us both down as responsible for the mortgage and for any debt, and i had to be re evaluated on my own for the mortgage, i had to pay an early redemption and new mortgage or just one of them i think, that is with coventry building society and was 9 blissful years ago.
    what is the plural of moose?

slags
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Lenders will only allow one partner to be removed from the mortgage and deeds if the remaining partner has enough income and credit rating to satisfy their current lending criteria.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • what happens when an ex partner has been left on the deeds and the mortgage, even though they havnt paid anything towards it in 12yrs?????its just that i know sumone in this situation and i have told them to seek advice
  • Similar situation with my partner.

She and her husband are now divorced and the court order stated that he should make a final payment to my partner and he would remain in the house. The court order states that my partner should sign the house over to her ex-husband when the payment has been made. He has now made the payment.

But the mortgage is still in joint names and the mortgage lender will not remove my partner from the mortgage and as her ex-husband allowed the mortgage to go into arrears for 9 months and he continually pays the mortgage late each month. It doesnt help that the mortgage is a self certified as he is self employed.

Are there any other options to remove my partner from the mortgage?

We want to get marriage in the near future but I am concerned that this will affect my ability to re-mortgage when my fixed rate lapses in 2 years.

Steve
  • To be honest i would remortage and get her name removed completley. Also make sure she is removed form the title deeds (check with land registry to make sure you are the sole propriter). The name should be changed on the title deed. However the solicitor will deal with this if you are using one
  • batho_777 wrote: »
    Similar situation with my partner.

She and her husband are now divorced and the court order stated that he should make a final payment to my partner and he would remain in the house. The court order states that my partner should sign the house over to her ex-husband when the payment has been made. He has now made the payment.

But the mortgage is still in joint names and the mortgage lender will not remove my partner from the mortgage and as her ex-husband allowed the mortgage to go into arrears for 9 months and he continually pays the mortgage late each month. It doesnt help that the mortgage is a self certified as he is self employed.

Are there any other options to remove my partner from the mortgage?

We want to get marriage in the near future but I am concerned that this will affect my ability to re-mortgage when my fixed rate lapses in 2 years.

Steve

Forgot to say any advice would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure