Online pdf form, won't let me fill in

Bogof_Babe
Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
I'm trying to fill in a form online, on a pdf file, but it won't let me put anything in the boxes. I point to where I want to type but it doesn't respond when I try to enter data. Instead of a cursor there is a little hand, and when I right click I get "Allow Hand Tool to Select Text". Don't know what that means but checked it anyway, but it still won't let me type in the boxes.

Any advice please?
:D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

Comments

• If it's in a PDF format I doubt you will be able to fill it in online. You will probably have to print it off and fill it in by hand.
  • Hi

This is right, if the form is in PDF format you are most likely to be viewing it in Acrobat Reader, PDF files are read only when viewed in there and cant be filled in. To edit it you would need Acrobat professional which is paid for software and isnt cheap.

if its a simple form try copying and pasting it into a word processor like Microsoft word (this sometimes works) if you have word 2007 you would be able to save it as pdf when you are done.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just do it by hand, much easier by hand,
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Thanks all. I'm quite happy to print it off and do it by hand, but the instructions say to fill it in online and then print it off. Probably compiled by someone else who doesn't understand these things :o.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can create PDFs that can be filled in on-line.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328647.html
    Determinewhether a PDF form can be filled on screen
    To determine if you can fill a PDF form on screen, check to see if it contains interactive form fields and check for restrictive security settings. (For more information about PDF security settings, see the Acrobat or Adobe Reader Help.)
    To determine whether a form contains interactive form fields:
    1. Open the form in an Acrobat product.
    2. Select the Hand tool, and then drag it over fields in the PDF form. The form contains form fields if the Hand tool changes to either of the following icons:
    -- An I-beam (the Text Select tool, which you use to type text in a text field).
    -- A pointing hand (which you use to select an option or to check a box)
    3. In Acrobat 3D, Acrobat 7, or Adobe Reader 7, click Highlight Fields and/or Highlight Required Fields in the Document Message Bar. Interactive fields will display a colored fill.
  • john87_2
    john87_2 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Try downloading the latest release of adobe acrobat reader

I think version 9 allows interactive forms.
  • There are a number of free programmes available that allow you to convert a PDF to a Word document so that you can edit them. Just Google 'PDF to Word converter'
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    alanrowell wrote: »
    You can create PDFs that can be filled in on-line.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328647.html

Yes Alan is correct, it is the same with word documents too etc, however if you work with turkeys you cannot soar with the eagles, our HR department produced 80 documents which were protected so that they could not be changed before printing, but sadly the muppet forgot to change the forms to have user input bits unprotected.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure