radiator valves - cost to replace?

Hi, I need to replace 2 radiator valves: I bought 2 Drayton TRV4 for £18 each online, but don't know what would be a fair price to pay a plumber to fit them for me, bearing in mind I am supplying the valves. Does anyone know please? A plumber has quoted £40 for each, just labour, but it seems to me such a small and quick job...(maybe just an hour's work?). Many thanks. Mac

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Post it on myhammer as a job, can be found from google.

Its like ebay for jobs, but people bid down on it.

I would of let the plumber supply the fittings, as if they fail in the future you have a warranty claim.

(Dont forget, when replacing the valves, that means freezing the pipes / draining the system, and putting back as it was.)
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    plumbers are expensive, but you dont really need a plumber for that simple job. a handyman can do it easy. prob half the price of the plumber.
    Get some gorm.
  • But its not just an hours work. He has to get to you in the first place. As already pointed out he has to isolate the radiator and probably make some pipewok alterations as well.
  • How much would you like to pay to:

Travel To Your House
    Drain the central Heating System
    Fit 2 valves
    Fill Back Up the central heating system
    Bleed the radiators
    Get the pressure correct
    Check for leaks
    Guarantee the work for ??

So whats reasnoble £20,30,40 ??? What do you think??
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would charge 2 hrs, first hour at £50 2nd at £30

£80 labour, new inhibitor £15
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Me two spot on "andyhop" £95 so the Op quote is good for £80 -Just goto make OP realise this.
    Will never understand how people would have np problem spending £80 on say Meal/Clothes but think it too expensive for a "little easy 1 hr job" my advise would be to "do it Yourself" or "damage it yourself"
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How much could you of supplied 'Drayton TRV4' valves for andyhop & sparky83..

I only worry with supplying own things is that if they fail, i have to pay again to have them replaced. Whilst, fitted and supplied by a tradesman, its less costly and a much faster turn around time..
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How much could you of supplied 'Drayton TRV4' valves for andyhop & sparky83..

I only worry with supplying own things is that if they fail, i have to pay again to have them replaced. Whilst, fitted and supplied by a tradesman, its less costly and a much faster turn around time..

Less than what you paid for them:rolleyes:

For something like that you would pay retail price if i supplied as i would have to get in my van and collect

I prefer the danfoss TRVs myself,and would usually keep stock of these in the van (£8+vat for TRV and new Locksheild in white)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Thank you to all who replied.
    I can see that there are a lot of plumbers among you.

For the record: as a supply teacher I get paid £20 an hour and I pay tax on that too, no cash in hand (the privilege of some plumbers).
    I travel for more than an hour to get to work and I spend all 60 minutes in the hour solidly working, without chat breaks nor coffee/tea breaks. Break time is not paid, I just hang around waiting for the next lesson and wasting my time. I don't get holidays paid, neither sick leave.
    Often I go to work fo just 2 hours, earning a staggering total £40 for effectively 4 hours of my time if I include travelling time.
    I studied 4 years at university for that and another 2 years of hard work writing a thesis at the end of it.
    So what do you think I should charge for my professional work to educate your children: £20, £30, £40 ? What do you think??? What would be fair?

Why should the work of a professional plumber be worth more than mine?
  • Thank you to all who replied.
    I can see that there are a lot of plumbers among you.

For the record: as a supply teacher I get paid £20 an hour and I pay tax on that too, no cash in hand (the privilege of some plumbers).
    I travel for more than an hour to get to work and I spend all 60 minutes in the hour solidly working, without chat breaks nor coffee/tea breaks. Break time is not paid, I just hang around waiting for the next lesson and wasting my time. I don't get holidays paid, neither sick leave.
    Often I go to work fo just 2 hours, earning a staggering total £40 for effectively 4 hours of my time if I include travelling time.
    I studied 4 years at university for that and another 2 years of hard work writing a thesis at the end of it.
    So what do you think I should charge for my professional work to educate your children: £20, £30, £40 ? What do you think??? What would be fair?

Why should the work of a professional plumber be worth more than mine?

Good morning: My OH is self employed (plumbing and heating) and I taught secondary school/FE for 15+ years. He spent 5 years completing an apprenticeship plus various other courses over the last 30 years: I've completed 5 years university and additional qualification courses.:confused: Apples and oranges. Should he make more as a plumber/RGI running his own business than I should? The answer is yes. I no longer teach but work with him while working on my Masters part-time.

Have you considered a course with the OU to make use of all that wasted time?

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure