PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I think blackberrying is a national right ! I've never heard of any laws regarding gathering wild berries etc. Obviously if the plant is growing in someone's garden it's off limits, but other than that pick away;)
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    i make sure i pick well away from the road, dont want them full of lead from petrol fumes
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    We go blackberry picking every year, although ours are still green/pink at the moment, so i think it will be next month before we can start!!!!

thriftlady - is there anyway of finding out if something is definatly a sloe? This year near my house we have berrys that look exactly like the sloes in the link you posted above, but ive never noticed them around here before!!!! I dont want to start picking them, sticking them in my gin (the best place for them!!!) and then find ive picked something poisonous!!!!!
  • stumpjumper
    stumpjumper Posts: 457 Forumite
    twink wrote:
    i make sure i pick well away from the road, dont want them full of lead from petrol fumes

Lead's been banned in petrol for quite a few years now so that's not a worry anymore.
    2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    forgot about that stumpjumper, suppose still best to pick away from the road, must say our biggest crop of brambles is by the river anyway
  • jayarr_2
    jayarr_2 Posts: 182 Forumite
    anyone know if theyre ripe in manchester area yet..its a long walk to where mine are and i dont fancy it if theres no reward at the end!!
    Budget for Jan/Feb £240 per 4 weeks
    Week 1-£52 :rolleyes: Week 2-£75 :eek:
    Week 3-£60.66 :confused:Week 4-£29.98 Total=£217.58
    w/c 18th Feb: £6.50
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    had alot of luck this morning, took kids down to the local castle with the football and on the way we cut down a country style road and found some blackberries again, so I quickly emptied my 2 carrier bags telling the kids to carry there ball and bats lol. There were loads to pick and then I couldnt belive it as I was picking I found apples growing too , they were high up so we used the bats to pull them closer and I managed to pick 9 apples.

apple and blackberry jam ,all free lol.
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if you want to identify berries etc why not check out the local library you could also borrow books to see what you can do with your harvest
  • We went looking yesterday but none ready to pick by me yet (Lancs)
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Was I the only one wondering why this wasnt in the tech forum? ;)

http://www.blackberry.com/
    Debt: a bloomin big mortgage

all posts are made for entertainment value only, nothing I say should be taken as making any sense and should really be ignored
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure