PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

North Facing Garden how bad are they?

2»

Comments

• ABN
    ABN Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to give a little more detail. The property is a semi in a rural setting and approached via a long shared drive. The “front of the property faces east, the rear of the property faces west and the side of the property faces north.

Its this side that has the view and due to the layout means that effectively this would be considered as the back garden.

The ground floor extends about 4ft beyond the top floor, this part currently has a gabled roof? To me what the property is saying is that this part should be made into a baloney with the 2 bedrooms on this side having patio doors opening onto it. Thus maximising the views from the bedrooms.

The garden slopes gently down towards the pasture. This is saying to me that the ground floor should be terraced with a largish flat patio area and large patio doors opening onto it.

Spreading out sideways tall hedges with arched opening thus separating this from the other 2 parts. Looking back from the pasture land to the house should be impressive.

Have a feeling that from the replies thus far being north facing would negate all these ideas. Perhaps why the last owners didn’t do it.

@katkim The last owner swapped his side for the pasture land. So that land would now belong to us. Being unusable is a negative but not sure what we would want to do with it anyway because of the view.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ABN wrote: »

Have a feeling that from the replies thus far being north facing would negate all these ideas. Perhaps why the last owners didn’t do it.

Not necessarily. It depends on the size of your garden and the number of trees surrounding it.

If you don't have that many trees and the garden is large you will have enough light to sit out comfortably in the summer so the patio would be a good idea. I have friends with a large North facing garden and it's pleasant to sit in when it's hot as it doesn't get direct sunlight making you hot. However they can't grow veg in their back garden so have to grow it out in the front garden which is South facing.

Myself I have a West facing garden which means when it's really hot in summer evenings it can be unpleasant to sit out in due to direct sunlight.

However you need to also appreciate that depending on where the windows in your rooms face the front (East facing) rooms will be cooler and dark after about mid-day in summer and the back of the house won't really get proper light until then.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • My garden is surrounded by high trees, even though it's north facing, the majority of it gets full sun in summer, the house doesn't cast a huge shadow when the sun is high.
    Sounds like the house your looking at gets sun on the front in the morning, the garden will have sun during the afternoon and late evening and you have a nice shaded area to sit during the hot summer days........ sounds ideal! Just because a terrace doesn't get full sun isn't a reason to stop using it, just sitting out with a cool drink and amazing views would do it for me!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Our rear garden is north west - most of the time its brilliant as we have sun coming up from the south and yet shaded areas. The only draw back is the rooms at the back of the house can be dark. We have built an extension and with this in mind we added 4 roof windows and 2 patio doors they are wonderful - the room is light all year round now and its great to sit in there and look up at the stars in the evening.

If you love the house and dont mind having part of your patio green on a frequent basis - I dont see it should worry you that much.

Would add re garden plans, our garden is very large and we have 3 distinct areas, the large patio, the well used garden and then through old church gates the end garden which we have kept as natural pasture with natural pond and wild flower seeds planted - its fab. You will soon work out which plants grow best - we like a wilderness - you may like clipped lawns - but Im sure you will work out the best way. We also have a lot of fruit trees which overwhelm us with stuff every year :) (including grape vines and figs)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    We have a balcony looking out on NFG. It gets the sun when the patio (below it) is in the shade.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Sulli
    Sulli Posts: 101 Forumite
    We are in a similar position. We have a house with a long (100 ft) rear garden that faces south-east. It gets the sun most of the day, however in the evening it's primarily the bottom of the garden that gets the sun.

We are looking to move and have seen a house that's ideal in lots of ways, but it has a north west facing rear garden (around 80ft), so I am assuming that the house will block the sun to the garden until probably early afternoon, but the rear of the house should have sun in the evening. I do have a feeling, looking back to our viewing of the property, that the garden maybe rises from the rear of the house which may help.

Anyone with experience of a house facing this way? I think it may be an issue, my wife on the otherhand.....loves the house ..........
  • sonnythecat
    sonnythecat Posts: 131 Forumite
    I'm an obsessive gardener and have a garden facing due north.

imho, if the garden is small (say, 40ft or less) it would be a little bit of an issue. If the garden is large/long, on the other hand (say, 100ft) then it doesn't matter one iota as loads of your garden will be effectively south facing anyway.

I grow roses, thyme and poppies against the north wall. Its nice to have a conservatory that we can use in the summer, rather than it being too hot.

Another point is that children shouldn't really be playing in full sun, so a bit of shade is actually quite useful.

Finally, if your garden faces south and the people whose garden backs onto yours plant trees/leylandii etc or build a shed at the bottom of theirs, you get stuck with the shade anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure