Milk Tokens (Information)

The Department of Health has taken over sending milk tokens out from the DWP from 1st November 2004.

I found this out today as i hadn't had any milk tokens since 1st November and I know quite a number of my friends haven't had any for a few weeks too. The number to ring if you have any problems with receiving your milk tokens is 0845 8501032. The number appears to be constantly engaged and when you do get through it rings and rings and rings until someone bothers to answer it.

On enquiring how the system works now i was told that you get milk tokens 4-weekly sent out by first class post. The first lot were sent 1st november, next lot will be sent out 28th Novemeber and then 26th December etc etc on a 4-weekly cycle. If you become eligible for milk tokens (by becoming pregnant or by starting to get Income Support) They told me you need to get a form issued by a GP/midwife/health visitor and get them to sign it to confirm you are pregnant/have children under 5 years of age. The form then has to be sent (freepost) to the distribution centre in Chelmsford.

Hope this info helps someone.

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    And if they owe you any backdated you should receive a cheque to cover the amount owing, if the tokens would be out of date. Mine took ages initially.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you become eligible for milk tokens (by becoming pregnant or by starting to get Income Support) They told me you need to get a form issued by a GP/midwife/health visitor and get them to sign it to confirm you are pregnant/have children under 5 years of age.

sorry to sound thick but are these milk tokens available to all pregnant women, or just those on benefits?
    52% tight
  • Details here Free milk for pregnant women
    This is a DOH leaflet which takes a short while to download.
    From it you will find
    You qualify for free milk tokens if you’re pregnant and you, or your family, receive any of these benefits:
    • Income Support;
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
    • Pension Credit guarantee credit; or
    • Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit), with a family income below £13,480.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ahhh, i see :-)
    52% tight
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    my daughter who is single age 20 working on 11500 per annum is pregnant

no partner can she claim milk tokens she doesnt get child tax credits as this is her first child

thanks in advance
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • azjh77
    azjh77 Posts: 925 Forumite
    I think she is probably earning too much at the moment. To get the tokens you either need to be on income support or claiming CTC but not WTC (this is why I only work 14 hours per week instead of 16)

If she puts in a claim now she will be told she can't have it. Is she going back to work after? I couldn't claim until my Maternity allowance ended and I got my new contract on 14 hours.

She will need to work out whether it is worth getting an extra £5.40 a week, but losing her working tax credit.... works out better for us as we get free school dinners for the kids etc.

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
    Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    thanks she is planning on carrying on work after maternity leave but i never thought of looking at it like that just doing 14 hours however she has no other children and needs the money it was a happy unplanned suprise but she is still at home my home!! and is saving to move out im on benefits myself

does anyone know of a web site to tell me what she is and isnt entitled to thank you everyone
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is this the healthy start scheme?
  • azjh77
    azjh77 Posts: 925 Forumite
    Yea, you get £2.80 tokens (x2 for a baby under one)

Whereas it used to be just for milk, now you can buy fruit & veg with them. If you pick the right till at Asda they accept them for everything! The other day I bought my veg and some nappies (was going to pay the extra) and the lad took 3 vouchers and my shopping cost 1 pence.

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
    Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    wilf55 wrote: »
    thanks she is planning on carrying on work after maternity leave but i never thought of looking at it like that just doing 14 hours however she has no other children and needs the money it was a happy unplanned suprise but she is still at home my home!! and is saving to move out im on benefits myself

does anyone know of a web site to tell me what she is and isnt entitled to thank you everyone
    www.entitledto.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport