Real-life MMD: Secret Santa standoff

Comments

• Office politics can be a real B, but it seems to me they don't even deserve a Santa of any sort. It's certainly not in the spirit of Christmas to complain over the cost of a present. I would suggest that you donate your £15 to a worthy charity and put the acknowledgement in as the Secret Santa gift. This is far more thoughtful and at the same time you're not supporting these thankless spoilt children. Maybe you even suggest that this year, all the secret Santa's go to an appropriate charity following last years comments and that people donate whatever they feel appropriate without disclosing the amount to stop their childish need to get one over other colleagues. Alternatively, look for another job working with people who have grown up.
  • Like someone else said if it is a proper secret santa no one will know which gift you bought anyway. BUT if everyone just owns up to what they bought then as you suggested use MSE to find really good deals and offers so that it looks like you spent more than £15. If anyone asks, don't say. Let them jump to their own conclusions.
  • Stick to your guns and say that is all you can afford, or better still have nothing at all to do with this ridiculous nonsense.
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Stick to £15 but be clever with discount codes, cashback and freebies etc :)
  • Absolutely not - if there is a limit - then that's what you should stick to. If people choose to ignore the limit - that's their decision and NOT a reason to get snippy with someone who sticks to the limit.

You could raise the issue ahead of any purchases and suggest that EVERYONE sticks to the limit, or, raise the limit! Personally Ithink £15 for an office pressie is more than enough!!
  • stick to the AGREED amount or like weddings,birthdays etc it'll all get out of hand and do you really wanna belong to the "look what I've spent on b all brigade aren't I flash"
  • Anneg
    Anneg Posts: 34 Forumite
    Yes, I agree. You should definitely stick to the limit but maybe buy something from a charity shop that still looks new or from an outlet store or from ebay, so that what you buy looks more expensive. I agree - £15 is more than enough. I live in Surrey and my husband does Christmas Santa at work every year to the value of £10. One year he was given an awful calendar which had pictures of chickens on it. Needless to say, it never made it to the wall. What a waste of money!
  • In view of the fact that they called you a scrooge try a bit of reverse psychology,make a donation near to xmas of the required £15.00 to a charity of your choice, eg HELP THE HERO's and give the receipt for such a donation to your
    secret santa recipient.

Then we will see who is the scrooge!

Xmas is a time for giving, and getting your own back.
  • I just think a vast amount of money is wasted at Christmas. How many of your secret santa presents given previously did you actually use yourself( and not recycle)?
    I don't do SS but do give to a small charity for slum children. My money is better spent that way.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • If it's a big office, I'd ask around to see if anyone else felt like I did, and try to get a breakaway group who'd prefer to 1. all give a tenner to a charity of your choice, or 2. buy lottery or scratchcards for that weekend, or 3. see who could get the best pressie for a tenner in a charity shop.
    Failing that, if you still have to go along with the £15 thingy, you could always get the 50 shades of gray trilogy as it's bound to be appearing in 2nd hand shops soon, and no-one will know what you paid for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure