Parking ticket by Euro car parks

Comments

• Help please,I have just had the pleasure of removing a euro car parks 'Parking Charge Notice' from my windshield. Apparently i was 'Parked not in bay, on the access entrance'. Ok, I wasn't parked in a bay, but only because the car park (tescos) was so full there were no spaces left. Both myself and another vehicle used a bit of space that was out of the way and should have been marked up as a couple of parking bays. We certainly was not in anyones way, we took care to wait and see traffic pass us unhindered before going into the store.The point is I don't want to pay. I was not causing anyone anywhere any harm, I was trying to use the store.What should i do? Ignore the ticket till they contact me then ask for proof, then denie i was the driver, and accuse them of harassing me? or should i appeal to them as there signage was woeful and inadequate, my vehicle was not causing anyone inconvience?Or do you have a better plan of attack?All help gratefully recieved, i will keep you updated on my case.MRB
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I suggest you look at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30
    and they will help you with this invoice. No matter the parking people call it it is only an invoice, not a fine, penalty or whatever.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I suggest you look at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30
    and they will help you with this invoice. No matter the parking people call it it is only an invoice, not a fine, penalty or whatever.

I agree.

Ignore it. They will then get the reg keeper's details from the DVLA and send a further demand.

At that point, the reg keeper can write to them, thanking them for their invoice, and suggesting that they pursue the driver for payment.

The reg keeper is under no obligation whatsoever to provide any information, or to pay the so-called "fine", which is, in fact just an invoice for either breach of contract or damages in tort.

You could also suggest that they do not write to you again, unless to confirm the invoice has been cancelled, and referring them to the Protection from Harassment Act.

You do not need to say anything else. Do not refer to "appeal" or ask them for any further information, or give them any more information. Simply tell them to pursue the driver and to leave you alone.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PAY!!!!
  • thanks sarah, you words have reassured me that the little man can be wrong and still get away with it.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Help please,I have just had the pleasure of removing a euro car parks 'Parking Charge Notice' from my windshield. Apparently i was 'Parked not in bay, on the access entrance'. Ok, I wasn't parked in a bay, but only because the car park (tescos) was so full there were no spaces left. Both myself and another vehicle used a bit of space that was out of the way and should have been marked up as a couple of parking bays. We certainly was not in anyones way, we took care to wait and see traffic pass us unhindered before going into the store.The point is I don't want to pay. I was not causing anyone anywhere any harm, I was trying to use the store.What should i do? Ignore the ticket till they contact me then ask for proof, then denie i was the driver, and accuse them of harassing me? or should i appeal to them as there signage was woeful and inadequate, my vehicle was not causing anyone inconvience?Or do you have a better plan of attack?All help gratefully recieved, i will keep you updated on my case.MRB

Before you refuse to pay, I'd check the small print for the carpark. If Tesco wanted that area painted with white lines for extra bays, then they would have probably painted them there. It probably says in the small print that you have to park in the bays... and if it DOES say that, then you'll end up paying a bigger fine for not paying it straight away. Just go down to the carpark and check the signs!

It just seems strange that they'd issue a ticket if you WERE allowed to park there, coz the people issuing the tickets aren't exactly intelligent, so just follow simple instructions... maybe it's a space reserved for an emergency vehicle? or for large vehicles to turn?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Before you refuse to pay, I'd check the small print for the carpark. If Tesco wanted that area painted with white lines for extra bays, then they would have probably painted them there. It probably says in the small print that you have to park in the bays... and if it DOES say that, then you'll end up paying a bigger fine for not paying it straight away. Just go down to the carpark and check the signs!

It just seems strange that they'd issue a ticket if you WERE allowed to park there, coz the people issuing the tickets aren't exactly intelligent, so just follow simple instructions... maybe it's a space reserved for an emergency vehicle? or for large vehicles to turn?

Pinkshoes - you have to understand that this is not a fine. It's an invoice based on a purported contract, or alternatively a request for payment of damages in tort.

They will not pursue this through the courts as they will not win.

There's no point checking the signs at all. All sickpuppy needs to do is to write when he receives a reminder, advising them to pursue the driver. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sarah
  • jeanna_2
    jeanna_2 Posts: 519 Forumite
    my husband stupidly parked in a disabled space while he ran into tesco for rolls. when he came out 5 mins later the attendant had written out a fine for £70.he said as he had already written it he couldn't do anything.is this legal.
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jeanna wrote: »
    my husband stupidly parked in a disabled space ......already written it he couldn't do anything.is this legal.

I would say so - your husband was presumably parked in a disabled space without a permit?

Why would the ticket not be legal?
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Afaik, whilst its not good to park in a disabled space, the invoice(not ticket) means absolutely nothing. Unless a ticket is issued by a council or the police it is no more legal than if I came to your house and put a ticket (sorry invoice) on your windscreen, would you be likely to pay me?
    See post 17.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • jeanna_2
    jeanna_2 Posts: 519 Forumite
    i knew this would cause a fuss and rightly so.yes thats right no permit and my hubby agrees aswell about parking in disabled spaces and he is willing to pay. but as i was reading about other people getting tickets from euro car parks who patrol tesco i just wondered if it was against the law. i know it is frowned upon but are euro allowed to fine you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure